Metrodome Collapse: At least nine roof panels need to be replaced
At least nine Teflon panels from the Metrodome roof will need to be replaced, maybe even more, in the wake of the Dec. 11 blizzard that caused the dome to collapse the following day.
Pat Milan, spokesman for the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, told us this morning that assessment crews are still trying to figure out the full extent of the damage.
"The truth is, we just don't know" when the repairs will be complete, and how much work needs to be done, he said. "They have to take their time."
The panels will be replaced by the same company that built them in the first place, Birdair, Inc., based outside of Buffalo, N.Y. The new panels will be constructed in Birdair's Tijuana, Mexico, plant.
Three of the panels failed the morning after the blizzard, sending an avalanche of snow and ice onto Mall of America field, and deflating the dome. A Fox Sports camera captured the dramatic moment. Another panel gave way on Dec. 15. And earlier this week, repair crews shot a hole in another panel, bursting it and relieving pressure on the canopy.
- Metrodome Collapse: Roof panel shot down with gun
- Another Metrodome panel fails: Damage gets worse
- Metrodome Collapse: See photos of the aftermath
- Metrodome collapse: Proof global climate change is a hoax!
- Maintenance man escapes Metrodome collapse in fork lift
- Metrodome collapse: Video from inside the stadium
- Metrodome collapse: Somebody (or thing) escaped as roof fell
- Metrodome collapse forces Vikings and Giants to Detroit
- Blizzard socks the Twin Cities: Photos and video
- Twin Cities Blizzard 12/11/10: Your pictures
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- A terrible Minneapolis park deal just got $2 million worse
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Why you should never run over a kid while flying a confederate flag
- Minnesota has eighth most expensive cigarettes