Today, Minneapolis is the "Best Place to Live in a Big City Designed for Getting Outside," according to Men's Journal.
Not a bad week so far. Especially since last month we were named one of the most dangerous cities in the country.
How did the glossy mag, last in these parts to name Brett Favre a "drama queen," reach such a judgment?
Along with 17 other cities, we traffic in general awesomeness. Heck, even Fargo gets a nod -- as the best place to forget about the recession.
These 18 towns are perfecting the art of living well -- places where conservation is more important than development, bike makers and breweries and farmers markets thrive, and Whole Foods is considered a big-box store.
All our usual neat stuff gets a mention: The bike love, the parks, the farmers' markets. We have "a bit of multicultural hipness," with an "eclectic arts district," and we "know how to live well, too." Angry Catfish bike and coffee shop owner Joshua Klauck gets named "model citizen." Stephen Regenold, the local Gear Junkie writer, waxes poetic about the zen of winter endurance.
Cool. But then MJ really went overboard:
Minneapolis's endemic love affair with water and woods -- and playing in both -- has always driven city planning. Parkland, the Mississippi River, Minnehaha Falls, and a chain of 22 lakes have been part of the city's fabric since its inception. Today, Minneapolis has so many parks that no resident is farther than six blocks from green space.
A chain of 22 lakes? What? The Chain of Lakes officially comprises Cedar Lake, Brownie Lake, Lake of the Isles, Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet. That's, um, five. Maybe the editors threw the potholes on Lyndale into the count, just to run up the numbers.
- Minneapolis ranked 10th most dangerous city in America
- Minneapolis is America's best bike city
- Twin Cities ranked 5th best in America for public transportation
- Twin Cities job market named among best in U.S. by Forbes
- Minneapolis is the gayest city in America
- Minneapolis is the 7th brainiest city in America
- Minneapolis declared one of the safest cities for kids in America
- Minneapolis-St.Paul is one of the least stressful places in America
Here's the MJ cover, complete with Jake Gyllenhaal: