Kenwood neighborhood in Minneapolis on list of 10 great places in America
City and regional planners with the American Planning Association have put the Kenwood neighborhood in Minneapolis on its list of "Great Places in America" for its mix of "urbane architecture and scenic vistas."
"Its residents have a deep appreciation of their neighborhood's history and assets and just as strong a desire to honor and protect them," the APA website explains.
To back up that claim, planners highlighted Kenwood's history of scrutinizing any plans to disrupt the natural landscape. One notable example was the opposition to converting the water tower -- now a landmark -- into condominiums.
The latest source of contention is a proposed light rail station next to Kenwood Park. Planners were impressed by what they saw as the neighborhood's concern to keep the design consistent with the surroundings while mitigating light and noise pollution and traffic.
Other neighborhoods that made the APA's list:
- Chinatown, San Francisco, California
- Downtown Norwich/Chelsea Landing, Norwich, Connecticut
- Downtown Decatur, Decatur, Georgia
- Central Street Neighborhood, Evanston, Illinois
- Downtown Mason City, Iowa
- Historic Licking Riverside, Covington, Kentucky
- Beaufort Historic District, South Carolina
- West Freemason, Norfolk, Virginia
- Williamson Marquette, Madison, Wisconsin
One thing Kenwood has that these neighborhoods don't? That's right: the house used in the establishing shots of the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
-- Email Jesse Marx at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter at @marxjesse
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Steven Timm charged with animal cruelty for harassing, drowning deer
- Cataclysmic boredom propels Stewart Mills into 2016 congressional race
- Man goes to meet prostitute with a trunk full of plastic and a giant empty suitcase