Joe Senser called rehab center after Amy's hit-and-run

Joe Senser called a rehab center the morning after his wife Amy allegedly ran over Anousoune Phanthavong.

That's one of several revelations contained in an amended complaint Hennepin County prosecutors filed against Amy Senser this afternoon.

On August 23, Senser hit Phanthavong, the head chef at True Thai, with her Mercedes Benz while he was on the Riverside Avenue exit of westbound I-94. On September 2, Senser released a statement admitting that she was the driver at the time of the accident.

The amended complaint also reveals that several witnesses called 911 after the accident. One woman exited I-94 and saw Phanthavong's vehicle pulled over with its emergency hazard lights flashing. She told police that "the vehicle was clearly visible and she had plenty of time to slow her vehicle's speed."

Another witness called police to say that she'd seen a Mercedes Benz on I-94, approaching Riverside Avenue, that was "weaving out of its lane" and "traveling at inconsistent speeds" around 11:50 p.m., about 40 minutes after the fatal hit-and-run accident.

The witness reported that, "as the vehicle approached the Riverside Avenue exit, the vehicle was in the far right lane. It slowed to around 40 mph, then veered to the far left lane."

That's when the witness noticed "all of the emergency lights up on the Riverside exit."

The witness drove past the Mercedes and checked out the driver. The witness saw that she had "long sandy blond hair, which was blowing around because the driver's side window was down."

Senser's phone records provide a window into her day. From 6:42 to 7:25, she "placed and received several phone calls" from Uptown. Her phone went quiet until 11:08, when she phoned one of her daughters, a call that "utilized a cell phone tower near I-94 and Riverside Avenue in Minneapolis." Her next call was at 11:24 "from a cell phone tower near I-94 and Snelling Avenue" in St. Paul.

Cops determined that Amy Senser's daughter attended the Katy Perry concert with friends. The concert ended around 11:15, so Amy's daughter began calling her mother, "trying to arrange a place to meet." Another call was made to Senser's phone from "Child C," a friend of Amy's daughter. "It was taking a long time for the Defendant to pick them up so they called Joseph Senser to come pick them up," according to the complaint.

Joe retrieved the girls, then called Amy to ask where she was, according to the complaint. He told Amy to "just go home."

By the time the girls got to the Sensers' house, the Mercedes was parked in the driveway. Amy Senser was asleep on a couch on the porch. Police investigators reviewed Joe Senser's cell phone records, and found he had "received calls" from Florida Detox, Inc. the morning after the accident. He also called his brother, an Edina police officer, and asked what to do "if one were hypothetically involved in an accident."

"Child C" spent the night after the concert and told police Amy didn't speak to her the next morning. "She recalled the Defendant [Amy] and Joseph Senser talking about having to take care of a 'car thing,'" the friend told police.

The Minnesota State Patrol created a Crash Reconstruction report and found that "injuries sustained by the victim were consistent with the victim standing upright near the rear of his vehicle while attempting to place gasoline into the gas tank." There were numerous broken pieces of a vehicle scattered through the ramp lane, "with many of them bloodstained."

Amy should have been able to see the victim clearly, according to the report. "40% of the Victim's body was above the top edge of the Mercedes' hood height at the right front corner when it collided with him. The right headlight would have clearly illuminated the victim, even as a collision was unavoidable."

Previous Coverage:

Sponsor Content


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >