Joe Mauer is 29th highest-paid athlete in world, according to Forbes
Joe Mauer takes a lot of heat, but as one of the world's highest-paid athletes, he's more than adequately compensated for whatever mental anguish he incurs.
With total earnings of $27 million between June 2011 and this month, St. Paul's favorite son is the 29th highest-paid athlete in the world, according to a new Forbes study.
Mauer made $23 million from salary and $4 million from his endorsements with Nike, Gatorade, Head & Shoulders, and Sony. He's the second-highest paid baseball player in the world, trailing only Alex Rodriguez, who made $33 million over the last year.
Minnesota's second highest-paid athlete is Adrian Peterson. AP earned $21.5 million (and that was mostly before his $100 million extension kicked in), but only $1 million of that total was from endorsements. Maybe AP needs a better agent?
Here are the top 10 highest-paid athletes in the world, along with their total earnings:
Earth's highest-paid athlete is currently in jail.
1. Floyd Mayweather -- $85 million
2. Manny Pacquiao -- $62 million
3. Tiger Woods -- $59.4 million
4. LeBron James -- $53 million
5. Roger Federer -- $52.7 million
6. Kobe Bryant -- $52.3 million
7. Phil Mickelson -- $47.8 million
8. David Beckham -- $46 million
9. Cristiano Ronaldo -- $42.5 million
10. Peyton Manning -- $42.4 million
To see the full list, click here. And if you're looking for a time-killing exercise, add up the total earnings of Earth's 100 highest-paid athletes and then estimate how many not-so-small islands you could buy with all that dough.
-- Joe Mauer should dump T.I.'s "What You Know"
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Why we removed a controversial post
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:00pm
Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Mens Hockey vs. University of Nebraska - Omaha Mavericks Mens HockeySat., Oct. 10, 7:07pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
- Homeless youth Don Turner chases down thief in downtown Minneapolis
- Mall of America protest case costs Black Lives Matter's Adja Gildersleve an apartment