Jerry Kill has seizure on sidelines during Gophers home opener

Jerry Kill's seizure brought the game to a stunned, 10-minute silence.
Jerry Kill's seizure brought the game to a stunned, 10-minute silence.

Jerry Kill's first home game as head coach of University of Minnesota football team came to a scary end when Kill suffered a seizure with less than a minute left in the team's 28-21 loss to New Mexico State.

Moments after the Gophers nearly scored a  dramatic game-tying touchdown, coaches and trainers were seen attending to Kill, who was laying on the ground on the sidelines. Suddenly, Kill shook violently and threw his arms out, as those around him tried to restrain him.

Kill was packed in ice, put on a stretcher, and taken to the hospital by the on-field ambulance, with the game and the crowd at TCF Bank Stadium brought to a stunned silence. Kill was taken to a hospital, and is reportedly in stable condition.

After the game, team doctor Pat Smith said Kill has had a history of seizures since battling cancer several years ago.

Kill's seizure came just after the game's most dramatic moment. With the Gophers trailing New Mexico State 28-21 and 20 seconds left in the game, Minnesota quarterback Marqueis Gray threw for the end zone, trying to hit Da'Jon McKnight for a touchdown to tie the game.

The pass was incomplete, and moments later Kill was shown seizing on the ground. Kill's seizures and his treatment on the sideline brought the game to a 10-minute silent standtstill.

After the game, Smith said Kill was never in danger.

Smith blamed weather conditions for Kill's seizure, with the temperature during game time approaching 90 degrees, accompanied by high humidity.

"There is a history of trouble with dehydration and heat seems to kick that up," Smith said. "It was very hot and humid today, we have to do a better job as a medical staff keeping him hydrated."

Sponsor Content


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >