Jeremy Giefer charges dismissed as victim recants sexual assault allegations
Sexual assault charges against Jeremy Giefer were dropped this morning following the victim's recantation.
Giefer was scheduled to go on trial next Monday on charges he raped his daughter multiple times over the years.
Assistant Blue Earth County Attorney Mike Hanson tells City Pages that the victim has recanted twice in the past two weeks. Last Friday, Hanson brought her into his office to hear what she had to say.
"She said none of the allegations were true," Hanson said.
Without her testimony, Hanson couldn't prove the allegations of sexual assault against Giefer beyond a reasonable doubt so he dropped the charges.
Hanson declined to say whether he believed the victim's recantation.
But Hanson did say he was "very disappointed by what has transpired in the past couple of weeks."
The Blue Earth County attorney's office has no plans to continue pursuing the case.
Giefer's charges provoked a firestorm of controversy for Tim Pawlenty last fall, as Giefer had received a pardon from Pawlenty in a previous case. Giefer was first charged with statutory rape in 1993, when he was 19, for fathering a child with a 14-year-old girlfriend. He pleaded guilty and served a 45-day sentence.
Fifteen years later, Giefer requested a pardon extraordinary for his crimes. His argument was that he had married the victim and raised their child together, so he shouldn't have to deal with the stigma of being a sex offender.
A committee including Pawlenty granted Giefer a pardon in 2008.
Two years later, Giefer was charged with 11 counts of sexual misconduct in this case, which has now been dismissed.
- Jeremy Giefer could be Tim Pawlenty's Willie Horton
- Jeremy Giefer got Pawlenty pardon to open daycare
- Pawlenty on sex daycare pardon: "I am very troubled"
- Molester Daycare: Why did Pawlenty wait 13 days to close it?
Giefer back in jail, and DHS has some 'splainin' to do
Pawlenty disregarded molester's disorderly conduct conviction to give daycare pardon
- Jeremy Giefer charged with domestic assault before Pawlenty Pardon
- Jeremy Giefer was sexually assaulting mother of out-of-wedlock daughter
- Jeremy Giefer timeline
- Jeremy Giefer will face jury trial this Christmas
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- UnitedHealth is getting even richer on Obamacare
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- The Top 10 T-shirts of the Minnesota State Fair
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: With new & improved fecal insults!