Jenna Schultz sexts student
Jenna Schultz, 26, worked as a student teacher at Simley High School in Inver Grove Heights until last month, when a 17-year-old male senior outed her for sending criminally inappropriate sexts and Facebook messages.
Police say one of the messages contained a photograph of Schultz "completely naked" with her leg raised. Schultz also messaged the boy about possible "changes" to his grades and asked whether he was in a relationship, the complaint says.
In one message, Schultz writes that she's "not sure if you are a boy or a man" and that she "can see why they advise against this but I just had to break all the rules." Perhaps regretting the messages a little later, she then wrote back and said, "Damn what was I thinking...."
The complaint says Schultz sent the messages between May 11 and May 14. A few days later, the boy cut off all contact with Schultz, saying she was "annoying" him. He reported the messages to school officials May 24.
When Schultz was called into the office that same day and asked to explain the messages, she told officials she lost a flash drive that contained personal photos, the idea being that someone had somehow gotten their hands on the drive and then distributed the contents to the 17-year-old student.
Schultz acknowledged she took the nude photo of herself in the bathroom of her Minnetonka home, but said she couldn't recall sending it. "[I] must have been really drunk," she told police.
After her initial court appearance, Schultz bailed herself out of jail for $30,000. Her next court appearance is scheduled for July 23. She faces two felony stalking charges and a misdemeanor charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. If convicted, Schultz faces up to a half-decade in prison.
Cops on Film
On May 11, 56-year-old Minneapolis resident David Cummer was calmly using his iPhone to film police during the 1% Against Democracy rally in downtown Minneapolis when a group of officers approached him and suddenly placed him under arrest.
"You decide to leave, if not, you're going to be arrested," one officer tells him. "Are you going to leave?" the officer asks. Moments later, the officer directs Cummer to place his "hands behind your back" and handcuffs him.
Cummer was ostensibly arrested for blocking traffic, but at the time about 100 people were milling in the intersection of Hennepin and Eighth. Traffic was going to remain blocked whether Cummer stood in the street or not. "The real issue was that I'd been filming them," Cummer says.
Cummer, who has taken part in Minneapolis Occupy protests since last year, said he believes he was the only person arrested during the May 11 demonstration.
"I was singled out for filming the police, but it's very important to film them — they do a lot of things wrong," he added.
Following his arrest, Cummer went to Mayor R.T. Rybak's office to try to show the footage of the incident to somebody working in the mayor's office. Much to his surprise, Cummer ran into Rybak himself as he approached the office and was able to show the mayor the footage of his arrest.
According to Cummer, Rybak told him to contact another city employee to share his concerns about the arrest, but Cummer told the mayor he wouldn't do that because he doesn't trust the city. "My feeling is the mayor very much wants this to just go away," Cummer said.
Skinny-dipping for Art
Longtime Twin Cities performance artist Patrick Scully dreams of a Minneapolis where the freedom to swim and sunbathe naked symbolizes "a culture that appreciates rather than fears the body."
But Hennepin County prosecutors want him to keep his appreciation of the birthday suit away from public parks, beaches, and lakes. And in the end, Scully fought the law, and the law won.
Scully, 58, originally planned to challenge a ticket he received for skinny-dipping last July in Twin Lakes, but pleaded guilty last week after prosecutors filed additional misdemeanor indecent exposure and offensive conduct charges the day before his trial was to begin. He received a suspended 60-day sentence and a fine of $378.
Scully and his attorney, Graham Ojala-Barbour, decided to accept a plea deal partly because being convicted of indecent exposure could lead to Scully being placed on the Minnesota Sex Offender Registry if there were subsequent convictions.
Scully said prosecutors' decision to add the two last-minute counts "felt vindictive."
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- UnitedHealth is getting even richer on Obamacare
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- The Top 10 T-shirts of the Minnesota State Fair
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: With new & improved fecal insults!