The gayest city in America is going to have the gayest bridge in America on Friday night, when the I-35W span over the Mississippi will be lit in rainbow colors to mark the annual Twin Cities Pride fest.
The city says 570 light fixtures on the bridge will shine with the rainbow colors, while 48 fixtures under the bridge will glow purple all night long.
Minneapolis will close several streets in Downtown on Sunday, June 26 for the Ashley Rukes GLBT Pride Parade and Twin Cities Pride 5K. The following streets will be closed starting at 8 a.m.:
- Hennepin Avenue from 3rd Street South to Spruce Place. Cross traffic will be allowed as normal until 10:30 a.m.
- 3rd Street South from Hennepin Avenue to Portland Avenue.
These streets will be impacted beginning at 10:30 a.m.:
- Cross traffic will be restricted from crossing Hennepin Avenue to Hennepin at 4th, 5th, 7th, 10th, 11th and 12th streets.
- Spruce Place will close from Hennepin Avenue to Yale Place.
- Yale Place will close from Spruce Place to Loring Park.
These streets will reopen following the parade at about 3 p.m.