House OKs gay marriage ban question: GOP Rep. John Kreisel votes no [VIDEO]
John Kreisel, Iraq war veteran, patriot, and opponent of the gay marriage ban.
A 2012 ballot question that aims to ban gay marriage via the state constitution has now been approved by both the Minnesota House and Senate, in a mighty demonstration of how lawmakers really know how to prioritize our problems.
All that pesky second-tier legislative work, like job creation and budget balancing, definitely needed to be pushed aside in favor of mission-critical work -- supported by Bradlee Dean -- that seeks to ban something that's already banned.
But Republican Rep. John Kreisel had other priorities.
Kreisel, a true patriot, fought in the Iraq war. And he told his colleagues before they voted on Saturday that fighting to deprive certain Americans of their rights was not what he had in mind when he signed on the dotted line to defend and possibly die for his country.
"If this was 5, 6 years ago, I probably would have voted 'yes,' because I didn't think about it. I just thought about my family. I thought about what affects my wife and kids and nothing else," Kriesel said. Everything changed. I went to Iraq. I was in an incident. I nearly died. I remember laying there, looking down and seeing my legs mangled, and pretty much guaranteeing that I was done. I was a done deal. I thought that was where my life was going to end. And I remember thinking of my wife and my kids. That's what crossed my mind. And that's what kept me fighting; the love I have for them."
"It woke me up. It changed me," Kriesel said. "Because of that, it's made me think about this issue and say, 'You know what, what would I do without my wife?' She makes me happy. Life is hard. We're in a really tough time in our history. Happiness is so, so hard to find for people. So they find it, they find someone that makes them happy, and we want to take that person away. We want to say, 'Oh no, you can be together, you can love that person, but you can't marry them.' You can't marry them. That's wrong."
- Bradlee Dean, homophobic preacher, gives creepy opening prayer at Legislature [VIDEO]
- Michele Bachmann prays for Bradlee Dean's homophobic ministry [AUDIO]
- Bradlee Dean's "prayer" not first at Capitol to exclude Jews
- Rep. Ernie Leidiger outed for inviting Bradlee Dean to lead House prayer
- Kurt Zellers apologizes for Bradlee Dean's opening "prayer" [VIDEO] "How many more gay people does God have to create before we ask ourselves if he wants them around?"
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- UnitedHealth is getting even richer on Obamacare
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- The Top 10 T-shirts of the Minnesota State Fair
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: With new & improved fecal insults!