GLBT bias murders in U.S. highest since 1999, 48 percent increase in Minn. violence
A new report by the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs (NCAVP) shows some scary increases of murders and violence against the country's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community, particularly in the Midwest.
There were 29 known gay bias-related murders in the United States last year, the highest rate since 1999. Violence increased 48 percent in Minnesota alone, compared to a national increase of 2 percent.
View the full report here.
OutFront Minnesota released details on the Minnesota violence and responded to the drastic increase in the Midwest with a statement.
"We are deeply concerned about the 2008 statistics for a number of reasons," says OutFront Minnesota Anti-Violence Program Director Rebecca Waggoner Kloek. "For example, anti-violence programs in the upper Midwest (Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota) are reporting an increased number of victims - 42%, 64%, and 48% respectively - far in excess of the nationwide increase of 2% over the same time."
"These data show that violence directed at GLBT people continues to become more brutal and more likely perpetrated by groups rather than individual assailants," Kloek said. "We must continue this vital work to create safe streets, homes and workplaces. Unfortunately, our community must continue to be aware of its vulnerability to hate and bias related violence. We must demand that the larger community and its justice systems hold perpetrators accountable for their actions."
Some of the Minnesota numbers:
- 185% increase in the number of violent incidents
- 20% increase in the number of incidents involving multiple offenders, with a 225% increase in incidents involving four or more offenders
- 40% of victims required emergency-room or other hospital care as a result of attacks
- 29% increase in the number of violent incidents directed at transgender men, and 113% increase in those directed at transgender women
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Watch the most Minnesotan neighbor fight ever
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- The broken girl and a mother's war with UnitedHealth
- Who's regulating Clearwater Kennel, one of America's "worst puppy mills"?