Gilbert Jordan is 30th Minneapolis homicide of the year
The original call to Minneapolis police at 3:30 a.m. Sunday was for shots fired at the Old Colony gas station on Washington Avenue at West Broadway. But as Fourth Precinct officers made their way the scene, the call was upgraded to an actual shooting, and when they arrived, three men were down outside.
Paramedics transported all three victims to Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment. One of them, identified by WCCO as 28-year-old Gilbert Jordan, died of his injuries at HCMC. The other two survived, one with life-threatening injuries.
"We moved kids out of Chicago to get them away from gang violence. We thought they would be better off in a city like this, now I realize this city is no better than Chicago," Jordan's father, Roosevelt McDonald, told the station.
There have been no arrests yet, but anyone with information for the Homicide Unit about the shooting is asked to call the TIPS Line at 612-692-TIPS (8477).
The shooting comes just days after Mayor R.T. Rybak, U.S. Attorney B. Todd Jones, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman and city police Chief Tim Dolan announced a new effort -- Project Exile -- to try and grapple with the city's growing homicide number. The plan aims at coordinating efforts at the city, county and federal level to come down hard on crimes and criminals involving guns.
Jordan's death is the 30th homicide in the city this year. Here are the other 29:
- June 21: Cordale Moore, 26
- July 11: Lashon Scott, 27
- July 11: Tirso Cruz Gomez, 24
- July 5: Anthony Titus, 16
- July 2: Lionel Franklin, 38
- June 13: Andrew James Battees, 16
- June 12: Phelandis Depure Jackson, 29
- June 10: Matthew Deon Johnson, 22
- May 29: Cedric Hunter Jr., 18
- May 24: Derrick Gregory Martin, 20
- May 21: Anton Warren, 31
- May 21: Romaze Stevens, 30
- May 4: DeCarl Antonio Starr, 18
- April 28: Amy Terborg, 28
- April 8: Tony Gale, 37
- April 2: Pauline Nash, 42
- March 30: Kenneth Sims, 21
- March 23: Robert Blake Castonguay, 26
- March 17: James E. King Jr., 20
- February 27: Alisha Neely, 17
- February 13: Drew Heinkle, 25
- February 4: Michael Fonta, 45
- January 17: Marvin Ray Maynard, 16
- January 20: Orlando Keith Nunn, 21
- January 8: Walter Lee Dolley Jr., 19
- January 6: Abdifatah Warfa, 28
- January 6: Mohamed Warfa, 30
- January 6: Anwar Mohammed, 31
- January 2: Dontae D. Johnson, 31
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Who's regulating Clearwater Kennel, one of America's "worst puppy mills"?
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Minnesota's first nonprofit pet clinic draws visitors across the Midwest
- Scott Walker wants to protect us from the Canadian menace