Gay marriage is legal in Minnesota: Top 10 funny tweets
B Fresh Photography
At midnight, love become the law in Minnesota.
As GLBT couples tied the knot at Minneapolis City Hall and other locations throughout the state, many were moved to tears. Others, however, were moved to hop on Twitter and crack good-natured jokes. Here, for your LOLing pleasure, are the 10 funniest we've seen.
Honorable mentions: This one is pretty good, but it was brought to our attention too late for inclusion in the top 10 list...
So far being gay married feels similar to a hangover.
-- Sam D I A M O N D S (@upinwebsters) August 1, 2013
... and this is worth mentioning too:
-- Michael Brodkorb (@mbrodkorb) August 1, 2013
-- Blair Jasper. (@blairjasper) August 1, 2013
13 states now allow gay marriage; 13 states allow sex with animals (mostly red states) Liberalism has almost overtaken conservatism! #Merica
-- Wilhelm Davis (@WilhelmDavis) August 1, 2013
8. Sadly, this one is becoming too easy these days...
-- Blaine Slater (@BlaineSlater) August 1, 2013
7. As you'd expect, lots of jokes like this...
-- David Brauer (@dbrauer) August 1, 2013
6. ... prompting this sort of backlash:
Oh no, is everyone going to make "don't worry my marriage is still OK, gay marriage hater" jokes again today? #shutsoffTwitter
-- Patrick Stephenson (@patiomensch) August 1, 2013
Somewhere Michelle Bachmann is siting in a corner ! Saying no they can't , no they can't , no they can't #mnmarriage
-- Jonathan (@Johnmarc) August 1, 2013
-- Steve Kimura (@stevekimura) August 1, 2013
4. Here's what Dean Walters, a teacher in Owatonna, said: "I can say, 'I want to marry a cow, I'm a Hindu'... People laugh when you say that, but 20 years ago, no one was saying same-sex marriage could happen."
Owatonna teacher Dean Walters insults his profession, our intelligence, Hindus and gays, all in one line: http://t.co/sU047s7AK8
-- Robert Moffitt (@justplainbob) August 1, 2013
3. Um, yeah. Good luck with that one!
-- Briana Bierschbach (@bbierschbach) August 1, 2013
2. Minnesota for Marriage called it!
This is what happens when you make gay marriage legal. Slippery slope, friends. pic.twitter.com/01pMetedk6
-- Julie Johnston (@Julia_JJ) August 1, 2013
1. And, finally, gays and gay-rights advocates aren't the only ones happy today...
Top two professions to be in as marriage for all becomes legal in #Minnesota? Catering and Divorce Lawyer.
-- Christine Vyrnon (@teandoranges) August 1, 2013
-- Follow Aaron Rupar on Twitter at @atrupar. Got a tip? Drop him a line at email@example.com.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Glenville kids have been harassing an elderly woman for decades
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sun., Oct. 18, 12:00pm
Fri., Oct. 23, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
- Black Lives Matter races cops to the Twin Cities Marathon, protests peacefully
- Michael Casey's "You Matter" movement turns depression to positivity