Five Places to Watch Fireworks
For my first fourth in these fair parts, I want to get my explosions on. Being the newcomer, I polled a host of locals for watch sites and came up with the following five.
Agree? Disagree? Got a different suggestion? Feel free to sound off in the comments. For now, here are five suggestions:
FIVE PLACES TO WATCH FIREWORKS
Photo by Ward Rubrecht
1. On a boat on White Bear Lake If you own a boat already, you're golden. If not, there are rental places. While you'll pay a pretty penny, the fireworks are more likely to be pretty.
2. High Bridge, St. Paul In the cities, this is the spot. The fireworks at Taste of Minnesota, which is on Harriet Island in St. Paul, are visible from the High Bridge (as well as from your boat on the Mississippi, again, if you have one). The High Bridge: it's not just for jumpin'.
3. In Blaine at the National Sports Center Here's an off-the-beaten-track suggestion. As part of 'Blaine's Blazin' Fourth,' you get to sit in the soccer stadium to watch the rocket's red glare. It's less than 30 minutes from the Twin Cities, so within range. 4. Normandale Lake Bandshell, Bloomington Why this particular suburban show? For one thing, it's tonight, July 3, so you can watch it and double-up on other fireworks events (or just get pyrotechnic satisfaction early). Besides, it's the Bloomington sesquicentennial, which adds a degree of intrigue.
5. Stone Arch Bridge/Nicollet Island, Minneapolis Gotta be frank -- sources tell me that Minneapolis 'works displays on the 4th have been disappointing, historically, and that you generally have to wait until Aquatennial for good ones. But for a close-in option, this just might be the best bet.
Of course, I'm the new guy. Anyone else with tips?
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- A terrible Minneapolis park deal just got $2 million worse
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Why you should never run over a kid while flying a confederate flag
- Minnesota has eighth most expensive cigarettes