Edina's Southdale Center named one of "10 Buildings That Changed America"
The Mall of America might lure tourists from all over the world and boast a bajillion stores, but Edina's Southdale Center has history, and the folks at PBS think it's kind of a big deal.
The nation's first enclosed regional shopping center, Southdale has been named one of the "10 Buildings That Changed America" and will be featured on a 2013 PBS documentary by the same title.
Historians and architects across the country chose Southdale as sixth on the list, which includes buildings ranging from America's early years to today.
The documentary will air as parent company Simon Property Group Inc., makes major cosmetic renovations to the mall, reports the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal. These renovations will include new concourses, entrances, elevators and a food court.
Here is PBS's entire list:
1. Virginia State Capitol, Richmond, Va.
2. Trinity Church, Boston
3. Wainright Building, St. Louis
4. Robie House, Chicago
5. Highland Park Ford Plant, Highland Park, Mich.
6. Southdale Center Mall, Edina
7. Seagram Building, New York
8. Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, Va.
9. Vanna Venturi House, Chestnut Hill, Pa.
10. Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles
"We're thrilled to be included on the list," said Les Morris, Simon Property Group spokesperson. "To be in the company of the Trinity Church in Boston and the state capitol in Richmond, Va. is very exciting. Southdale is a very important property to us."
Southdale first opened in 1956 and is anchored by Macy's, Herberger's, JC Penney and Marshall's. It has more than 120 specialty stores, and a diverse array of restaurants.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- UnitedHealth is getting even richer on Obamacare
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- The Top 10 T-shirts of the Minnesota State Fair
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: With new & improved fecal insults!