Double homicide suspect kills himself in police chase
Minneapolis police say that a man who crashed his car near a Lake Street convenience store earlier this morning was being chased by police because he was a suspect in two deadly shootings overnight.
Not only that, but he shot himself to death during the chase, according to MPD spokesman Sgt. Jesse Garcia.
We already reported the first shooting: One woman was found dead and another was wounded in the 1300 block of Logan Ave. N. at about 2:30 a.m.
The dead woman's identity is not yet available and will be released by the Hennepin County Medical Examiners Office.
The wounded woman was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment. Her condition is unknown.
About an hour later, Brooklyn Park police responding to a call found a man dead in the street on the 10000 block of Juniper Ave. N.
Details are sketchy right now, but Garcia said that Brooklyn Park police developed "a person of interest," went to his home, and the car chase began. Hennepin County sheriffs deputies joined in the pursuit, as did MPD when the suspect crossed into Minneapolis.
The chase went down to Lake Street and ended between 7th and 18th avenues, when the driver crashed into a light pole.
Garcia said the man had shot himself to death. No officers or bystanders were hurt, he said.
The dead shooting suspect's identity will be released later by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner.
The shooting death in Minneapolis is being investigated as a homicide. Here are the other homicide victims in Minneapolis so far this year:
- April 8: Tony Gale, 37
- April 2: Pauline Nash, 42
- March 30: Kenneth Sims, 21
- March 23: Robert Blake Castonguay, 26
- March 17: James E. King Jr., 20
- February 27: Alisha Neely, 17
- February 13: Drew Heinkle, 25
- February 4: Michael Fonta, 45
- January 17: Marvin Ray Maynard, 16
- January 20: Orlando Keith Nunn, 21
- January 8: Walter Lee Dolley Jr., 19
- January 6: Abdifatah Warfa, 28
- January 6: Mohamed Warfa, 30
- January 6: Anwar Mohammed, 31
- January 2: Dontae D. Johnson, 31
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Nicole Curtis hates 'affordable housing' that replaced south Minneapolis homes
- Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau will keep her job, but not without critics
- Minnetonka Schools remain oddly silent after teen assaults Chris Carr's daughter
- Luke McAvoy, ex-Minnesota football player, comes out in powerful essay