Dim-bulb Bachmann brings back lightbulb bill
They can have Michele Bachmann's incandescent light bulbs when they pry them from her cold dead fingers.
The Tea Party receptacle doesn't want big government intruding into her sockets, and she's reintroduced a bill to preserve freedom of choice when it comes to electrical illumination.
Bachmann's bill would roll back parts of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 that phases out the use of conventional incandescent bulbs by 2012.
The Minnesota representative tried to strike this blow for light bulb liberty once before in 2008, but that bill was killed off by agents of the Fluorescent Conspiracy. Whether the move will fare any better with Republican majorities in the House and Senate remains to be seen, but in the meantime, history is moving forward.
Ikea, meanwhile, has already stopped carrying regular incandescent bulbs, and more than half of Americans have already switched over to the twisty-shaped energy-efficient bulbs.
More Michele Bachmann coverage:
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
- Meghan McCain calls Michele Bachmann "a poor man's Sarah Palin"
- Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann divorced from reality on healthcare
- Michele Bachmann flunks slavery history again
- Michele Bachmann vs. Michelle Obama in breastfeeding war
- Bachmann calls on Glenn Beck to solve the national debt crisis
- Michele Bachmann fights narcoterrorists
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- UnitedHealth is getting even richer on Obamacare
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- The Top 10 T-shirts of the Minnesota State Fair
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: With new & improved fecal insults!