Denny Hecker's pastor, Peter Geisendorfer-Lindgren, defends phoned-in wedding
Worthy of marriage, pastor says.
What would Jesus have done with Denny Hecker and Christi Rowan?
Pastor Peter Geisendorfer-Lindgren figures he would have let the bankrupt and jailed former auto magnate get married to his girlfriend, who is also facing time behind bars.
On Sunday, he used his pulpit at Lord of Life Church in Maple Grove to defend officiating the unusual wedding, which took place Feb. 22.
Hecker phoned in his vows from the Sherburne County jail as Rowan stood with Geisendorfer-Lindgren at the church, and her child's nanny acted as witness.
"Much to my dismay, I received my 15 minutes of fame" for that performance, he told his flock. "I did it because I don't think Jesus wants us to eat only with those who are worthy of our invitation."
Hecker will get no legal advantage from the marriage, Geisendorfer-Lindgren said, as a KARE-11 church member recorded the sermon.
More on Denny Hecker:
- Denny Hecker indicted in scheme to defraud lenders
- Denny Hecker faces 18 new federal counts in alleged conspiracy and fraud
- Denny Hecker stole from his kids to pay for mansion during bankruptcy
- Denny Hecker's Caddy golf cart goes on the block
- Denny Hecker bought his own Harley Davidson at bankruptcy auction
- Denny Hecker's watches fetch $294,500 at auction
- Denny Hecker's drug problem won't help his prison problem
- Denny Hecker sentenced
- Denny Hecker, behind bars, is a workout-addicted vegetarian
- Christi Rowan, Denny Hecker's girlfriend, jailed for illegal $9,000 withdrawal
- Denny Hecker phones in wedding vows to Christi Rowan
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.