Christi Rowan, Denny Hecker's girlfriend, jailed for illegal $9,000 withdrawal [UPDATE]
Hecker and Rowan: Soul mates.
Convicted auto fraudster Denny Hecker moaned to the media from prison recently that he blamed himself for all the legal trouble facing Christi Rowan, his girlfriend--including possible prison time of her own.
But it sounds like she spent last night behind bars with nobody to blame but herself, after she violated the terms of her release and withdrew $9,000 from Hecker's U.S. Bank account.
Is this what Hecker means when he calls Rowan his soul mate?
Rowan was scheduled to be sentenced on Friday for her part in trying to help Hecker dodge the mountain of wire and bankruptcy fraud charges that eventually sent him to prison for 10 years.
If she had kept her nose clean, she might have escaped with just probation.
Forget that, the feds said yesterday when they asked for her to be jailed for 12 months.
Rowan was arrested when she showed up at the Sherburne County jail last night to visit Hecker.
The $9,000 withdrawal she made, along with cashing dividend checks from Hecker's stock, was part and parcel of a continued effort to scam the bankruptcy court, lead prosecutor Nicole Engisch said.
"Rowan's pattern of deception did not stop with her guilty plea, did not stop when the bankruptcy court ordered her not to spend estate assets, and did not stop when this court ordered gift cards frozen in the Hecker case. The government believes it will not stop unless Rowan receives a wakeup call from this court."
Are Engisch and Hecker talking about the same woman?
"She is probably the greatest woman I have ever met in my life," he told WCCO. "All I can do is hope and pray that she gets probation."
Update: As Rowan wept in court this morning, U.S. District Court Judge Joan Ericksen threw out her original plea deal, opening the door to new charges and the possibility of a longer stay in prison. It's not clear right now whether tomorrow's sentencing will go on as planned.
- Denny Hecker, Steve Leach indicted in scheme to defraud lenders
- Denny Hecker faces 18 new federal counts in alleged conspiracy and fraud
- Denny Hecker stole from his kids to pay for mansion during bankruptcy
- Denny Hecker's Caddy golf cart goes on the block
- For Denny Hecker, Elvis has left the building
- Denny Hecker bought his own Harley Davidson at bankruptcy auction
- Denny Hecker's watches fetch $294,500 at auction
- Denny Hecker's drug problem won't help his prison problem
- Denny Hecker sentenced
- Denny Hecker, behind bars, is a workout-addicted vegetarian
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Why we removed a controversial post
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:07pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sun., Oct. 18, 12:00pm
- Homeless youth Don Turner chases down thief in downtown Minneapolis
- Mall of America protest case costs Black Lives Matter's Adja Gildersleve an apartment