Burnsville apartment fire leaves nearly 200 homeless days before Christmas
A Burnsville apartment building, housing nearly 200 people, erupted in flames Monday afternoon, leaving residents homeless with just the clothes on their backs. Luckily, no one was reported injured or missing as the blaze raged onHere is a KSTP video report on the fire:
Around the corner from the Burnsville High School gymnasium, where victims were staying, dozens of students sat on the floor wrapping presents for children who had lost their homes. Other students arrived, bringing bags full of gifts from any store they could find open.
"It's really hit the community hard. I was in the car just crying," said Natalie Evanson, 17, a junior and student council member.
"I can't remember anything this bad happening," she said as teddy bears, footballs, coloring books and other gifts were wrapped and labeled for the recipients' appropriate gender and age.
"It's the holidays. I just can't imagine," Evanson said, as she was joined by other members of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes student organization in wrapping presents.
The Red Cross is asking for donations to help the victims. Visit their Web site to find out how to give.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- A terrible Minneapolis park deal just got $2 million worse
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Why you should never run over a kid while flying a confederate flag
- Minnesota has eighth most expensive cigarettes