Brett Favre's penis pictures too hot for local front pages
The Vikings' Brett Favre is one of the hottest quarterbacks in NFL history. He is accused of texting pictures of his penis to a former New York Jets sideline reporter in 2008, when he played for the Jets. That's a big story, right?
Maybe the ick factor kept it out of last night's local newscasts and this morning's local papers. But it wasn't a problem in New York.
The New York Post splashed Sterger and Favre all over its front page, and relegated its Yankees-beat-the-Twins coverage to the sports section.
"Gray-haired gridiron granddaddy Brett Favre did not deny today that he left voice-mail messages propositioning a sexy TV sports personality shortly after he joined the Jets in 2008," Brian Costello wrote.
He was the only reporter who asked Favre about the allegations at yesterday's news conference in Winter Park.
Here's how the Post played the story:
Back home, the largest newspaper in the state, The Star Tribune, kept the story off its front page and out of its sports section except for an entry deep down on page C7. There in the "Vikings Notes" section, under an "Etc." sub headline, there's a brief mention of Favre's press conference comments. Meanwhile on the front page:
No Favre coverage fronted by the Strib.
Screen grab via Newseum
This morning on the Strib website, gossip columnist C.J. repeated the Favre quote and added some comment and background on the Post's Costello. This afternoon, the headline was at or near the top of both its "Most E-Mailed" and "Most Viewed" lists:
C.J.'s on the ball.
Screen grab via StarTribune.com
At the Pioneer Press there's agony on the front page over the Twins loss to the Yankees last night, and cheerleading for Randy Moss. No Favre.
Pioneer Press: Mission Critical.
Screen grab via Newseum
The NFL investigates.
Screen grab via Fox 9.
- Jenn Sterger claims Brett Favre penis pictures
- Deadspin defends Brett Favre naked in crocs story
- Gawker's Nick Denton claims moral high ground on Brett Favre penis post
- Slideshow: Naked in Crocs, A Favre Fantasy
- Deadspin says it will publish Brett Favre penis pics
- Brett Favre's penis revealed by Deadspin (Warning: Graphic photos)
- NFL checks out Brett Favre's penis
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Slowly, Lake Calhoun is losing its weird tribute to Mr. Slavery
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- Kitty Westin wants to save parents from having to bury a child
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner says toy hamster stole her name and her looks