Brett Favre retirement statement expected today? [UPDATED]
Brett Favre prognostication has taken a turn for the louder: The Vikings QB is about to retire from the National Football League, according to NFL sources channeled by the Star Tribune. And Favre has sent text messages to teammates saying, "This is it," according to ESPN. But when coach Brad Childress showed up for a press conference after practice, he shrugged his shoulders.
News to him, he said.
Of course, this is Brett Favre we're talking about. The guy's retired twice before. On his official website, headlines about him being a no-show at training camp are still posted -- but no news. So we're on tenterhooks like everyone else.
Check back for updates. Meantime, here's some of what we've written about him this past year.
- Paul Allen on Jeff Dubay, Brett Favre, the Vikings
- Favre cheesed at manager's "drama queen" quote
- Possum-killer Brett Favre profiled by Men's Journal
- ESPY wasn't for "Best Dodged Career Decision"
- Brett Favre: Best Vikings Player of the Year
- Brett Favre, Artist of the Year
- Fans buy billboard in Favre's hometown
- Brett Favre: Grandpa
- Post-game injuries revealed in graphic photos
- Worst Favre Sears commercial appearance ever?
- So happy he wants his "pants on the ground"
- The full City Pages archive on Brett Favre
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.