Brett Favre admits his reputation's at stake [UPDATED]
Update: Favre talked to his teammates about the distraction. More after the jump.
The Vikings take on the Jets tonight, but quarterback Brett Favre is figuring out how to take on allegations that he sexted photographs of his penis to Jenn Sterger.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has confirmed that the league is looking into the scandalous photos made public last week and that we posted here.
Favre has twice now refused to confirm or deny the veracity of the photos, published originally by Deadspin, in an interview with ESPN. But he knows the story is, at the very least, a huge distraction on the eve his debut with Randy Moss.
"It [Favre's reputation] has always been important to me," Favre told ESPN. "That was one of the first questions I answered when I signed here [Minnesota]. Sure it is important to me, it has always been a concern."
Deadspin has openly defied ESPN's on-air hosts to duck the matter on their prime time broadcast tonight. And that was before another woman, a masseuse, came forward to accuse him of treating her like a piece of hanging meat.
Update: ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Favre apologized to his teammates at their hotel in New Jersey on Monday "for being a distraction."
A source told Mortensen that the NFL also wants to interview one and possibly both massage therapists who also were reportedly sent inappropriate text messages by Favre.
Meanwhile, ESPN is looking at ratings gold with the thought of all those eyes and ears tuning in tonight to hear about our Viking gunslinger's junk.
The Favre File:
- Jenn Sterger claims Brett Favre penis pictures
- Deadspin defends Brett Favre naked in crocs story
- Gawker's Nick Denton claims moral high ground on Brett Favre penis post
- Slideshow: Naked in Crocs, A Favre Fantasy
- Deadspin says it will publish Brett Favre penis pics
- Brett Favre's penis revealed by Deadspin (Warning: Graphic photos)
- NFL checks out Brett Favre's penis
- Masseuse claims Brett Favre sexual harassment
- Favre admits his reputation's at stake
- Favre sexting on Monday Night Football
- Favre sexting story eclipses 500th TD pass
- Brett Favre's still bad to the bone for Wrangler
- Favre's penis can't catch a break (Video)
- Stephen Colbert on Brett Favre's jock (Video)
- Gregory Favre disavows cousin Brett's predicament
- Favre's little quarterback stars in animated movie (Video)
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Steven Timm charged with animal cruelty for harassing, drowning deer
- Cataclysmic boredom propels Stewart Mills into 2016 congressional race
- Man goes to meet prostitute with a trunk full of plastic and a giant empty suitcase