Blotter's top posts of 2013
The year was filled with both highs and lows in the news for the Twin Cities and beyond. We took a look back at some of the most-read Blotter stories of the past 12 months.
10. Maplewood couple gets probation for raising baby in "putrid" home "Officers were overcome with the smell of rot when they entered the residence. They saw dirty laundry and food on the floor and table. Dirty diapers were found throughout the home."
9. Maple Grove high school hockey scandal reportedly involved player sex tape Immediately following the scandal's outbreak, 13 players were suspended and Maple Grove hockey coach Gary Stefano was placed on administrative leave. Stefano will not return as coach next year.
8. MCTC prof reprimanded for alienating white students during structural racism discussion After white, male students complained to the administration following a class discussion, professor Shannon Gibney was propelled into the national spotlight, sparking debates about both structural and institutional racism in schools and beyond.
7. Take a look at the Judgmental Minneapolis neighborhood map From "Target Corp zombies roaming the skyway" to "beer snobs," this locally produced map brought forth discussions about stereotypes, classism, and how folks in the Twin Cities view themselves and others. The map's creator later said "it's being misinterpreted by about 75% of folks."
6. Pedal Pub crashes, riders taken away on stretchers Love 'em or hate 'em, Pedal Pubs are a ubiquitous sight in the summertime. This year, one of the roving kegs-on-wheels took a sharp turn too quickly in downtown Minneapolis, leaving some riders injured while Twitter buzzed about the crash.
5. Edina man yells the most Edina thing ever while being restrained outside bar After attempting to buy a bottle, but opting for several drinks, the man began shouting after his credit card was denied.
4. UMD student Alyssa Jo Lommel found freezing The University of Minnesota-Duluth student was found suffering from severe hypothermia after spending hours in sub-zero temperatures overnight.
3. Stone Arch Bridge suicides: Teenage couple jump to their deaths days after they go missing Two St. Croix Central High School students crossed the border from Wisconsin to Minnesota and were found several weeks later.
2. Nancy Pelosi's response to Michele Bachmann's anti-gay marriage statement is the best ever Nancy Pelosi had some choice words for Michele Bachmann.
1. Adrian Peterson's son was the victim of a fatal beating Adrian Peterson's young son in Sioux Falls suffered fatal injuries allegedly at the hands of his mother's boyfriend.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Kitty Westin wants to save parents from having to bury a child
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner says toy hamster stole her name and her looks
- Metro Transit reviewing alleged beating of autistic teen Marcus Abrams