Bachmann on PolitiFact's 'Lie of the year' list for Hannity quote
Michele Bachmann, who recently called herself a "lovable little fuzz ball" in a MinnPost puff piece, isn't feeling the love from PolitiFact, the Pulitzer Prize-winning Web site that exposes the factually challenged. The District 6 congresswoman is a nominee for its annual "Lie of the Year" award, for a rant on Sean Hannity's Fox News show about health care reform.
Hannity, you'll remember, was busted by Jon Stewart not long ago for a faked video that grossly inflated the size of the crowd at Bachmann's big anti-health care reform rally in Washington, D.C. That's also the same rally that a watchdog group says may have broken House ethics rules.
Here's a transcription of Bachmann's Oct. 30 "pants on fire" moment, via PolitiFact:
"It says specifically that people can't purchase private health insurance after a date certain, which means people will ultimately go into a single-payer plan where it is government providing health care and only one single government system. That's why this is so bad, Sean. This is socialized medicine ... This is, as I said, the crown jewel of socialism. It's what Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid have wanted from the very beginning."
We not only find that she is misinterpreting that one page, but that she's also distorting the other 1,989 pages of a bill that would construct a system largely based on private health insurance. Her claim is a serious misrepresentation of a plan that relies on a marketplace of private coverage.
- President Barack Obama - Preventive health care "saves money."
- Vice President Joe Biden - "When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft."
- U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C. - "You lie!"
- U.S. Rep. Nita Lowey, D-N.Y. - A health care reform amendment "puts new restrictions on women's access to abortion coverage in the private health insurance market."
- Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin - Obama wants "death panels."
- Glen Beck - Obama advisor "has proposed forcing abortions and putting sterilants in the drinking water to control population."
- Orly Taitz (headline grabber in the discredited birther movement): Barack Obama was born in Kenya.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.