Bachmann finds no financial support from fellow MN Republicans
CNN's wingnut of the year is good at "speaking teabag," winning votes for "lie of the year," and goofing her history, but when it comes to raking in cold, hard cash from fellow Minnesota Republican pols, Michele Bachmann is coming up short.
The Humphrey Institute's Smart Politics is reporting today that there's a "dearth of financial support" for Bachmann "from high-profile political figures this year, particularly in comparison to many of her colleagues in the Gopher State's U.S. House delegation."
The tight fists include some veteran GOP marquee names:
- Former U.S. Senator Rudy Boschwitz gave $2,000 to Bachmann's first congressional campaign, and another $2,300 to the incumbent in November 2007. In 2009? Nothing.
- Former 6-term U.S. Rep. Vin Weber donated $2,000 to Bachman in 2006, $3,700 in 2007 and $300 in 2008. In 2009? Nothing.
In the meantime:
Tens of thousands of dollars from political figures have poured into the campaign coffers of the other members of Minnesota's U.S. House delegation and its high profile Congressional hopefuls.
Eric Ostermeier, the report's author, is careful to point out that Bachmann is a fundraising machine when it comes to small donors.
Weird donations from howling lefty Hollywood types also seem to be less of a problem.
Could this lack of local financial love for Bachmann be related to the news she's parted ways with her fundraising colleagues, or that GOP insiders wish she'd pipe down, or that a lot of people in her district think she's more focused on the national spotlight than on her constituents, or that maybe she's a farm subsidy welfare queen?
We'll be watching.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Why we removed a controversial post
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:00pm
Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Mens Hockey vs. University of Nebraska - Omaha Mavericks Mens HockeySat., Oct. 10, 7:07pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
- Homeless youth Don Turner chases down thief in downtown Minneapolis
- Mall of America protest case costs Black Lives Matter's Adja Gildersleve an apartment