Bachmann aide Rollins sorry for being a big meanie to Palin
Ed Rollins apologizes. But a retraction? Forget it.
When veteran GOP operative Ed Rollins joined Michele Bachmann's as-yet-unofficial White House campaign, he wasted no time in trashing the other conservative Republican woman who may run in 2012.
Sarah Palin is a lightweight, he told one TV interviewer. "She got the vice-presidential thing handed to her. She didn't go to work in the sense of trying to gain more substance. She gave up her governorship."
"Hey!" Palin's team said, "No one's allowed to remind voters of stuff our Sarah did!"
"Beltway political strategist Ed Rollins has a long, long track record of taking high profile jobs and promptly sticking his foot in his mouth. To no one's surprise he has done it again, while also fueling a contrived narrative about the presidential race by the mainstream media. One would expect that his woodshed moment is coming and that a retraction will be issued soon."
As woodshed moments go, this one appears to have been a quick one: Sorry, Rollins tells Politico, tail firmly planted between legs.
"This was my one comment, which I shouldn't have made, at the end of the day this has nothing to do with Michele, Michele's campaign, or any of the rest of it. This was my transition from being an analyst to a political strategist, and I missed a step."
No way, says Fox pundit Greta Van Susteren. "Better to dump Rollins now than to carry his baggage throughout the campaign."
We feel the same way. There's just not enough room on the campaign bus for two sets of baggage filled with crazy sound bites. [ICYMI]
So what about that retraction?
Please, Rollins says, "What's the retraction? I say she's serious?"
Dude just doesn't learn.
- Did Michele Bachmann just call Sarah Palin a bad mother?
- Bachmann's campaign chief: Sarah Palin's a lightweight quitter
- Bachmann, Pawlenty lose badly to Obama in latest poll
- Michele Bachmann's no Ronald Reagan, Wall Street Journal says
- Bachmann vs. Palin is NOT a cat fight
- Team Pawlenty hammers "pain in the ass" Bachmann, Part 2
- Pawlenty and Bachmann not worthy of any office, most Minnesotans tell pollster
- Michele Bachmann says God's calling her to run. Republicans? Not so much
- Michele Bachmann prays for Bradlee Dean's homophobic ministry [AUDIO]
- Team Pawlenty fires shot at "pain in the ass" Bachmann
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Steven Timm charged with animal cruelty for harassing, drowning deer
- Cataclysmic boredom propels Stewart Mills into 2016 congressional race
- Man goes to meet prostitute with a trunk full of plastic and a giant empty suitcase