Bachmann abandons birthers on ABC, backtracks on Fox
Bachmann: "Well then, that should settle it."
We keep asking why Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann has such a hard time saying that Barack Obama is an American, and suddenly there she is on "Good Morning America," breaking her bond with the birthers.
But then we blinked.
During the interview, GMA host George Stephanopoulos called up Obama's birth certificate, along with all the details that make it a fully binding legal document, via FactCheck. There's nothing secret about it. The document is online for anyone to see. We've posted it numerous times.
Stephanopoulos: I have the president's certificate right here. It's certified, it's got a certification number, it's got the registrar of the state signed, it's got a seal on it and it says that this copy serves as prima fascia evidence of the fact of birth in any court proceeding.
Bachmann: Well, then that should settle it.
Stephanopoulos: Then it's over.
Bachmann: That's what should settle it. I take the president at his word and I think--again I would have no problem and apparently the president wouldn't either. Introduce that, we're done. Move on.
Stephanopoulos: So this case--this story's over.
Bachmann: Well, as long as someone introduces it, I guess it's over.
Stephanopoulos: It's right there.
Bachmann: Yup, there you go. Because that is not the main issue facing the United States right now.
That's a big leap from calling Obama's birth certificate a "facsimile."
But later on "Fox & Friends," after she'd seen the document in the public domain and the proof that it represents the fact of birth in any legal proceeding, she was back to insisting that the president "be forthcoming."
I take the president at his word if he said he was born there, he was born there. But again, this is a very solvable problem and the president is the only one who can solve it, be forthcoming and get it over with.
What's more forthcoming than a simple click of the mouse?
Bachmann and the Birthers:
- Bachmann refuses to acknowledge Obama citizenship
- Bachmann embraces birther Orly Taitz
- Bachmann doubles down with birthers on GMA
- Bachmann won't show her birth certificate
- Tim Pawlenty: Barack Obama really is American
- Tim Pawlenty vs. Donald Trump, Birther
- Bachmann poses beside "Kenyan village idiot" sign
- Bachmann calls Barack Obama's birth certificate a facsimile
- Trump-Bachmann 2012: The all-crazy all-birther ticket
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Sketchy Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill empire crumbles
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sun., Oct. 18, 12:00pm
Fri., Oct. 23, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
- Anti-abortion investigators' shocking revelation: U does research
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: 'I can't believe Shitty Pages...'