Ashonti Devon Allen arrested in weekend shooting death
Eighteen-year-old Ashonti Devon Allen was booked into the Hennepin County Jail this afternoon for probable cause murder in the death of a man early Sunday morning in North Minneapolis, according to police.
The shooting was at a home in the 3800 block of Thomas Avenue North, where one man was found dead and two others wounded, one critically, at about 12:30 a.m. Sunday. Allen is being without bail ahead of possible criminal charges from the Hennepin County Attorney's Office.
It was one of two homicides over the weekend. Twenty-four-year-old Tirso Cruz Gomez was found dead by Minneapolis cops early Sunday on the sidewalk outside Grumpy's Bar and Grill in the 2200 block of 4th St. NE.
The two deaths were the 27th and 28th homicides this year in Minneapolis. Here are the others.
- July 5: Anthony Titus, 16
- July 2: Lionel Franklin, 38
- June 13: Andrew James Battees, 16
- June 12: Phelandis Depure Jackson, 29
- June 10: Matthew Deon Johnson, 22
- May 29: Cedric Hunter Jr., 18
- May 24: Derrick Gregory Martin, 20
- May 21: Anton Warren, 31
- May 21: Romaze Stevens, 30
- May 4: DeCarl Antonio Starr, 18
- April 28: Amy Terborg, 28
- April 8: Tony Gale, 37
- April 2: Pauline Nash, 42
- March 30: Kenneth Sims, 21
- March 23: Robert Blake Castonguay, 26
- March 17: James E. King Jr., 20
- February 27: Alisha Neely, 17
- February 13: Drew Heinkle, 25
- February 4: Michael Fonta, 45
- January 17: Marvin Ray Maynard, 16
- January 20: Orlando Keith Nunn, 21
- January 8: Walter Lee Dolley Jr., 19
- January 6: Abdifatah Warfa, 28
- January 6: Mohamed Warfa, 30
- January 6: Anwar Mohammed, 31
- January 2: Dontae D. Johnson, 31
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.