Arnold Darwin Waukazo arrested in Krissy Bates's murder
Minneapolis police say tonight that they've arrested Arnold Darwin Waukazo in the murder of Krissy Bates. He's being held on probable cause murder at the Hennepin County jail.
Bates, the city's first homicide victim of the year, was found dead Jan. 11 in her apartment on Linden Avenue. She was a transgender woman who'd been in town only a few months. The county medical examiner described her cause of death as complex homicidal violence.
She'd been working as a prostitute out of the apartment, and had advertised her services online as a "classy and sassy Southern belle."
Neighbors told us they were familiar with her line of work, and saw johns coming and going. Her neighbor across the hall, Bryant DeVine, called her "bubbly, cheerful, spiritual, religious."
MPD hasn't yet released a booking photo of the 40-year-old Waukazo, who's from Blaine. We'll post it as soon as it's available.
- Krissy Bates murder: Victim had black eye week before killing
- Krissy Bates murder: Last voicemail message of transgender victim
- Bates's photo: murder victim was working as a prostitute
- Bates's cause of death: complex homicidal violence
- Krissy Bates, transgender homicide victim, found stabbed downtown
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- UnitedHealth is getting even richer on Obamacare
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
Sun., Sep. 27, 12:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
- The Top 10 T-shirts of the Minnesota State Fair
- Top 5 Hate Mails of the Week: With new & improved fecal insults!