A week after Mayor R.T. Rybak and police Chief Tim Dolan said they were pulling out the stops to cut down on the city's growing violence, a man died after being shot in the head on the north side of Minneapolis.
Matthew Deon Johnson, 22, of Brooklyn Center, is the city's 22nd homicide this year.
MPD spokesman Sgt. Bill Palmer said officers responding to a 911 call just before 7 p.m. found the man in the parking lot next to the Homewood Apartments at 1240 Thomas Ave. N. EMS rushed him to Hennepin County Medical Center -- the hospital was not among those targeted by yesterday's nurses strike -- but he couldn't be saved and was declared brain dead shortly after arrival.
Here is some of what Northside residents were saying to each other via email...
"I read in the Strib that no suspects are in custody. That courtyard has tons of people in it at virtually any daylight hour -- seating, picnic tables, BBQ grills, open space for kids to play. Somebody saw this go down, whether or not they're admitting it."
"Homewood residents milling about on Sheridan south of the scene said that recent increased police patrols (the past week or so) in the area were possibly related to increased activity in the alley behind the apartments. I heard mention of card games."
MPD has no suspects in custody right now, but the Homicide Unit is working the case. Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the TIPS Line at 612-692-TIPS (8477).
Here are the other homicides this year in Minneapolis:
- May 29: Cedric Hunter Jr., 18
- May 24: Derrick Gregory Martin, 20
- May 21: Anton Warren, 31
- May 21: Romaze Stevens, 30
- May 4: DeCarl Antonio Starr, 18
- April 28: Amy Terborg, 28
- April 8: Tony Gale, 37
- April 2: Pauline Nash, 42
- March 30: Kenneth Sims, 21
- March 23: Robert Blake Castonguay, 26
- March 17: James E. King Jr., 20
- February 27: Alisha Neely, 17
- February 13: Drew Heinkle, 25
- February 4: Michael Fonta, 45
- January 17: Marvin Ray Maynard, 16
- January 20: Orlando Keith Nunn, 21
- January 8: Walter Lee Dolley Jr., 19
- January 6: Abdifatah Warfa, 28
- January 6: Mohamed Warfa, 30
- January 6: Anwar Mohammed, 31
- January 2: Dontae D. Johnson, 31