Amanda Przynski, animal rescue founder, charged with being evil to dogs

Despite the cold-heartedness of the charges, the most jail time Przynski could get is 270 days.

Despite the cold-heartedness of the charges, the most jail time Przynski could get is 270 days.

Losing lottery tickets, chicken wire, and an unheeded NO TRESPASSING sign adorn the front yard of Amanda Louise Przynski's Nicollet Avenue fourplex. This is what the front of a reported canine house of horrors looks like.

A Minneapolis Police sergeant first rapped on the door of unit four last October.

Inside the home of the founder of the animal rescue nonprofit called "Panda's Pets," the officer was bowled over by the stench of feces and urine, the former smeared on the wall. The sergeant found nine canines, some doubled up in dog crates.

The October police visit was bookended by phone calls to the Humane Society. According to HS investigator Keith Streff, his office received calls in August and November, reporting unsanitary conditions and the possible fostering of too many dogs.

Officials would be back at Przynski's home in five months. They found much worse.

Police descended on the property the second time on April 15. She was reported to be operating an animal rescue with more than three dogs without a permit.

Trash was strewn everywhere. An ornery Great Dane lived in the attic. Two female mixed breeds occupied the apartment. A four-year-old bulldog named Flora was discovered in the basement.

According to court records, Flora was in the roughest shape. The pup's ribs showed. Excrement clung to her emaciated frame, including her recent spay scar. Flora was so hungry she had been reduced to eating her own poop.

Injuries to Flora's face caused investigators to believe she had been kicked or hit.

All the dogs were taken by animal control. The 42-year-old Przynski now stands charged with multiple crimes, including animal torture and depriving animals of food and shelter.

City Pages attempted to interview Przynski last Friday. Despite noises coming from inside the unit, repeated attempts to speak to her were unsuccessful.

If she's convicted, the stiffest penalties for Przynski would be 270 days in jail and fines amounting to $3,000.