Alleged juggalo terrorist longed for "cowboy days" when "everyone carried a gun"

According to a newly unsealed affidavit in the federal firearms case against alleged juggalo terrorist Buford "Bucky" Rogers, the 24-year-old Montevideo resident longed to return to the "cowboy days" when "everyone carried a gun," and he sought to get there, in part, by raiding a nearby National Guard armory.

RELATED: Bucky Rogers, alleged Minnesota terrorist, is a juggalo [PHOTOS]

That information came from a former friend and member of Rogers's "Black Snake Militia" who became an FBI informant after he was alarmed by the realization that Rogers really intended to carry out a violent terrorist plot.

Rogers and the informant [aka, Witness 1] first met at an "Arizona powwow" in the fall or winter of 2012. FBI Special Agent Marc Rensch's affidavit describes how their first conversation went.

"At the powwow, Witness 1 had been talking with another friend about his dissatisfaction with both the poor economy and the current government," Rensch wrote. "Buford overheard this conversation and joined in, stating he hated the president and desired a return to the 'cowboy days' where everyone carried a gun. Witness 1 believed Buford was attempting to recruit people into a 'protest movement.'"

The informant dropped out of college in January and ended up busing up to Minnesota to spend some time with Rogers. Once he arrived in Minnesota, he discovered that Rogers and his tiny militia, made up mostly of his family members, were more radical than he anticipated.

"[I]t became clear to Witness 1 that the group was not just an ordinary protest group or militia movement," the affidavit says. "Buford talked regularly about his plans to use his 'Black Snake Militia' to cut off connections to the city of Montevideo, to 'take out' a radio tower, to block communications to the city, to raid the National Guard armory, and to attack the police station."

The Pioneer Press, citing the affidavit, explains the informant's falling out with Rogers and his decision to turn to the feds:

On April 29 or 30, Rogers "told Witness 1 he wanted to initiate his attack on the city the following weekend. Witness 1 told Buford he would not do this as he 'was not a killer'. Buford said that was 'OK' and 'he did not have to,' " the affidavit says.

The informant's girlfriend -- who was visiting the Rogers family -- claimed she overheard Rogers tell others that "Witness 1 'knew too much' so they had to 'take him out. ' " The woman told her boyfriend about the conversation, and early on April 29, they snuck out of the mobile home and returned to San Antonio, where they lived...

Two days after that alleged conversation, the informant went to police. And two days after that, lawmen, including an FBI SWAT team in armored vehicles, raided the mobile home and a nearby storage shed.

The informant told the FBI about the wide range of explosives and weapons he'd seen at Rogers's mobile home, and indeed, a significant arsenal was found there once feds obtained a search warrant.

Rogers has been indicted by a federal grand jury on weapons- and explosives-related charges, but he hasn't been charged with anything in connection to the alleged terrorist plot.

-- Follow Aaron Rupar on Twitter at @atrupar. Got a tip? Drop him a line at [email protected]

Sponsor Content


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >