Alfunda Scruggs killed Michael Fonta for insulting "my bitch"
Alfunda Scruggs, left, is headed for prison. Hope Jackson remains jailed on $1 million bond.
High on crack at his apartment last February, Alfunda Jackson didn't take kindly to his girlfriend, Hope Jackson, being called a bitch by his roommate, Michael Fonta.
"She's my bitch and I'm the only one that can call her that," Scruggs said.
Then the 50-year-old man came at Fonta with his fists, threw him to the floor, strangled him with a cord, and then stabbed him in the neck.
Jackson said that, once Fonta's bloodied body stopped moving, Scruggs dragged him downstairs and left him face-down in the snow.
That's where the cops found Fonta, 45, dead from "complex homicidal violence," the eighth murder victim of 2010 in Minneapolis.
Scruggs and Jackson were arrested. A little over a week later, he was charged with first- and second-degree murder, and she was charged with being an accomplice after the fact.
A Hennepin County jury convicted Scruggs today. Thirty-nine-year-old Jackson, also known as Hope Cook, is still in jail on $1 million bond.
- Criminal Complaint: Alfunda Scruggs
- Criminal Complaint: Hope Jackson
- Alfunda Scruggs smoked crack with Michael Fonta then killed him, police say
- Minneapolis homicides double in 2010 compared to 2009
Homicide Location: 330 8th Street SE, Minneapolis.
View Larger Map
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- Why we removed a controversial post
- Homeless youth Don Turner chases down thief in downtown Minneapolis
- Mall of America protest case costs Black Lives Matter's Adja Gildersleve an apartment