200 Wisconsin cows were killed by moldy potatoes
All wrong. Turns out, the cows ate moldy spuds.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison's vet lab ran tests on the cows. Its results show the cows died of a toxin that could be traced to rotten sweet potatoes. Peter Vanderloo, an associate director at the lab, tells AP the rotten veggies were mixed into the cattle's feed.
The cows dropped dead on a Portage County dairy farm earlier in January, not long after flocks of dead birds had rained down on Arkansas, and millions of fish carcasses had washed up on the Maryland shore.
We still don't know what caused that carnage (check here on that), but science has solved the mystery in Wisconsin.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.
- A terrible Minneapolis park deal just got $2 million worse
Sat., Sep. 19, 12:00am
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Sep. 20, 12:00pm
Sat., Sep. 26, 2:30pm
- Why you should never run over a kid while flying a confederate flag
- Minnesota has eighth most expensive cigarettes