Wait, R.E.M. was still a band?: R.E.M.'s breakup floods the internet with bad jokes
Photo by Anton Corbijn
R.E.M.'s announcement today that they're calling it quits as a band after 31 years has shaken the rock world. Wait, it has? Wait, they were still a band? Did everyone know that?
- The Atlantic Monthly: R.E.M. Breaks Up: "It's the End of the Band as We Know It"
- Yahoo: "Cue the rapid-eye-mourning."
- From HolyMoly.com: R.E.M. Split up--Nobody Hurts: "News has just reached us that R.E.M. have called it quits after an astonishing 31 years. And while it's true we hadn't really paid them much attention for a while, it was always nice to know they were there."
- From the Pitchfork.com obituary: "For the past three decades, R.E.M. helped define 'college rock,' 'alternative rock,' 'indie rock,' or whatever your preferred nomenclature was.
- From, well, everywhere: "R.E.M.R.I.P."
All in all, joking aside, R.E.M.'s announcement has come as a sombre and heartfelt address to fans from a band that has meant a lot to a lot of people.
Oh and also, Michael Stipe posted pictures of his penis as part of a collage on his new Tumblr blog "Confessions Of A Michael Stipe." So there's that...
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- Phish and Keith Urban are coming: Big news for two very different fanbases
- Flashlight Vinyl: New record store brings vinyl paradise to northeast Minneapolis
- How Minneapolis' awful Super Bowl XXVI halftime show changed the game
- Minneapolis indie-rock faves Fog reunite, announce first album in nine years