Twin Cities Record Store Day 2013 deals and specials roundup
Photo by Erik Hess
Record Store Day is like a religious holiday for audiophiles -- people who revel in digging through crates of vinyl, getting their fingers dusty paging through piles of records to find that one album that will complete their collection. It's also a day to help celebrate the local record store and appreciating what they contribute to the community.
This Saturday, get out early to support your local stores, and to help you find the exclusive deals, Gimme Noise has compiled a list specials and deals from stores around the Twin Cities.
Record Store Day 2012 across Minneapolis
Record Store Day 2013 Release List
** Please note that not every release will be available at every store as each is a limited quantity release and not every store will be able to get hold of everything they order.
2000 Fourth Avenue S
- Angry Catfish Bicycle Shop & Coffee Bar will provide free bicycle safety checks in the garage behind the Electric Fetus--bring your bike!
- Food trucks Natedogs and Hola Arepa will be serving in the back lot all day
- Intelligentsia will provide free coffee for the first 500 people through the doors.
- New local shop Glam Doll Donuts will provide donuts to early customers
- All three Electric Fetus stores (Minneapolis, St. Cloud and Duluth) will have the new
American Buffalo Vol. 2 vinyl release available with any $50+ purchase on Record Store
Day while supplies last.
- Big Cats, Gay Witch Abortion, BNLX, Haley Bonar, Greg Grease, Dan Israel, Fathom Lane, Bloodnstuff, A. Wolf & Her Claws, Solid Gold, The Pines, and Gospel Gossip all have songs featured on the compilation album.
- Hourly prize drawings will be held from 10am to 3pm (winning customer must be present to
win). Prizes include vinyl, CDs and concert tickets.
- First customers of the day will receive "goodie bags"--details and quantities are a secret
- 11 am - Greg Grease
- 12 pm - The 4onthefloor
- 1 pm - Frankie Lee
- 2 pm - Black Angels
- 3 pm - Dave King Trucking Company
3820 E Lake Street
- Charlie Parr Rooster double 10" vinyl
- Noiseland compilation: American Buffalo II giveaway for customers
- 10¢ record sidewalk sale
- Beer garden sponsored by Merlins Rest Pub pouring taps from Northgate Brewery and Harriet Brewery
Friday, April 19, 2013
- Charlie Parr performance, AA, Free, 3 pm
Saturday, April 20, 2013
- Wizards are Real
- Chastity Brown
- Tyler Haag & the Bar
- Martin Devaney
- Ben Weaver
- The Ericksons
- Jake Manders
- Southside Desire
- Big Quarters
- Audio Perm
- Prissy Clerks
- White Whales
- Brian Laidlaw & the Family Trade
2411 Hennepin Ave.
Very limited 7" releases from: Atmosphere (as Demosexual), Brother Ali, and The Uncluded (Aesop Rock and Kimya Dawson). More details here.
1:00: DJ Mike The 2600 King
2:00: Haphduzn & Dimitry Killstorm
2:30: Noam The Drummer
3:30: Greg Grease
4:00: DJ Espada
5:00: Mixed Blood Majority
5:30: DJ Kool Akiem
822 W 98th Street
Down in the Valley - Golden Valley
8020 Olson Memorial Highway
- Exclusive RSD releases-large selection/limited quanities
- Free Stuff
- Live music (Golden Valley location)
- 4:20 Celebration
- 4:20 Raffle. Prizes include: $420 gift card, PHX Waterpipe, and Heady Grab Bag
- 20% Storewide sale *restrictions apply
Down in the Valley - Crystal
5582 W Broadway
Down in the Valley - Maple Grove
Grove Square Shopping Center
I-94 & Weaver Lake Road
Cheapo - Minneapolis
1300 W Lake Street
Cheapo - St. Paul
80 N Snelling Ave.
Opening at 9 am
Cheapo - Blaine
170 89th Ave. NE
381 Wabasha Street N
Exclusive screen-printed posters from Big Table Studio for sale. More info here.
11am Danny Sigelman (Secret Stash Records)
12pm Brian Oake (Cities 97)
1pm Dr. Midnight (92.5 KSMR)
2pm Jason Nagel (96.3 K-Twin)
3pm Terry Walsh (Belfast Cowboys)
4pm Eric Pollard (Retribution Gospel Choir)
5pm Jill Riley (The Current)
407 W Lake Street
Know Name Records
6009 Portland Ave. S
Roadrunner Record Exchange
4304 Nicollet Ave.
Homestead Pickin' Parlor
6625 Penn Ave. S
20 percent off all in-stock CDs.
Classic Era LP crates for sale.
More info here .
1744 Lexington Ave. N
2557 Lyndale Ave. S
Opening at 9 am
- Two new releases on Treehouse's in-house label Nero's Neptune -- the PERE UBU Live at the Longhorn three-sided LP and the PAUL METZGER Tombeaux LP -- will be available for the first time anywhere exclusively at Treehouse on RSD.
- Treehouse Records record tote bags available for the first time.
- Treehouse Records turntable slipmats available for the first time in a couple years.
- FREE coffee and breakfast pastries (while they last) from Rock 'N' Roll Breakfast Series co-sponsors Caffetto and Sweet Creams.
- Noiseland Industries' "American Buffalo Vol. 2" local music vinyl compilation will be available for FREE to the first 25 customers who spend over $50 and ask for a copy.
- Fresh stock of high quality used records hitting the shelves for the first time.
Vintage Music Company
1820 E 38th Street
- 4/$1.00 Table
- 10% off purchase of $50+
- 20% off purchase of $100+
The Hexagon Bar Night Show on RSD
- The Blind Shake
- Spray Paint (Austin TX, SS Records)
- The Fuck Yeah's
- Rabbit Holes
- The bar side of the Hexagon will become a record store and the venue side will be rocking.
21+, Free, 9 pm
Learning Curve Records
Learning Curve Records will be releasing a comp limited to 600 copies, featuring tracks from Hex Machine, Seawhores, Dead, Gay Witch Abortion, and Hammerhead. Comp will be available at Eclipse, Extreme Noise, Electric Fetus, Hymie's, Treehaus. A limited amount will be available on learningcurverecords.com. The comp will be selling for about $12-14 range, depending on the store. The record comes on red or black vinyl.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.