Top 20 signs you've been in Lyn-Lake too long
Photo by Kendra Sundvall
The intersection of Lyndale and Lake in Minneapolis has spawned not just a whole geographic district, but a way of life. And the longer you've been a part of it, the more it's a part of you. Sure, there's a segment of Lyn-Lake population who might get slurred with that dreaded "h-word" for their fashion choices, but there's a hell of a lot more to it than that. It's how you interact with the food, the bars the shows, the attitude, the mode of transportation, and the lay of the land.
Here are 20 signs compiled by Gimme Noise and friends that you've been in Lyn-Lake too long -- or 20 signs you'll never be in Lyn-Lake long enough, depending on how you look at it.
20. You're regularly chasing away unwitting intruders who mistake your duplex for the basement music venue across the street.
Photo by Tony Nelson
19. You've taken enough smoke breaks outside Bryant-Lake Bowl to memorize all the typos in the clothing/shoe repair store sign across the street.
18. You have already turned this blog into a drinking game.
Photo by Denis Jeong Plaster
17. You weren't the first owner of anything in your closet -- except your underwear. And the same goes for your pets.
16. You think receiving a pizza from a superhero in an electric car is totally normal.
Photo by Erik Hess
15. You get misty-eyed when remembering when the Pizza Luce Block Party was an all-day thing at the CARAG location.
14. You've drunkenly bought groceries from Lunds before walking home from the bar because it's on the way home and you might as well.
13. You refer to the Kenwood neighborhood as "the suburbs."
Photo by EU Photography
12. Your name has appeared on a gourmet doughnut.
11. The Country Bar & Grill won't serve you anymore because you found Marilyn Manson on their jukebox and kept playing it.
Photo by Erik Hess
10. You've brought in used copies of your own albums to sell at Cheapo.
9. You have a collection of passive-aggressive notes addressing your parking style that were originally taped to your "art" car's windshield.
8. You know who the heavy metal dude is at the VFW's karaoke night.
Photo by Michelle Leon / Steve Neuharth
7. You've jolted out of bed with the realization that you left your bike locked up outside Cause (which you still call Sauce).
6. You can pinpoint everything that is inexcusable in that New York Times article about Minneapolis dating.
Photo by Erik Blume
5. You know where to bike slowly on the Midtown Greenway to watch people getting it on, and where to go to avoid being detected while doing your own fooling around.
4. You're completely lost when the street names don't follow alphabetical order.
3. You feel like starting a fight club every time you see a new condo complex.
Photo by Emily Utne
2. You ended up in a City Pages story about a musician just by drinking at Muddy's at the same time the interview was happening.
1. Your beer, your tattoos and your favorite album of the moment were all created within walking distance of your apartment.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.