The 20 juiciest tidbits from Touré's new Prince biography
For many, Prince remains an enigmatic character, larger than life. This month, the star comes a little closer to Earth in a new book by journalist Touré in I Would Die 4 U.
In three long essays, Touré explores Prince as a talented kid from Minneapolis in "Prince's Rosebud," a sex symbol in "The King of Porn Chic," and lastly a spiritual man in "I'm Your Messiah." In each of these extended chapters, the author delves deep into Prince's psyche through the accounts of people who were close to the icon at one point. From Prince's brutally lonely childhood filled with neglect, abuse, and constantly moving around to the star's feelings on race in the music industry, Touré's examination of the Prince's background provides readers with a well-rounded picture of the man as exactly that -- a man.
Touré does indulge in some pretty long tangents while merely skimming the surface of other topics, but the aim of the book remains the same, giving both basic Prince fans and Prince worshippers a well-versed account at the artist's life and motivations. The author's insider interviews, first-hand accounts, and astute pop-culture analysis make for an overall insightful, funny, and touching look at Prince that has musicians like Questlove and Q-Tip singing its praises.
We collected some of the juiciest, most intriguing bits of Prince-centric trivia from Touré's book for you.
20. "Game... Blouses." It's real... sort of. At least, Prince is a damn good basketball player.
19. Prince's brilliance comes from being Mozart reincarnated. Obviously.
18. He's had his fair share of stuff thrown at him.
17. Including old chicken. (Seriously, who throws chicken at a concert? Come on guys.)
16. Prince loves to give baths. Probably more than he likes sex.
14. He's a fan of surprise softball days.
13. Fear and love go hand in hand when talking about certain Florentine writers... and Prince.
12. He's always been a jerk about throwing guitars after mind-blowing performances. (Catch Prince smashing Captain Kirk Douglas's beautiful 1961 Epiphone Crestwood on Jimmy Fallon's show here.)
11. You don't call Prince. He calls you... even when you're married to him.
9. He's a huge fan of the Sly and the Family Stone band formula.
8. Really, you don't call Prince. Not even when you're talking to him in person.
6. He's more conservative than you might think.
4. He's always been "allergic" to recording devices.
3. Prince started honing his image in high school.
2. Some people have verbal diarrhea, not him.
1. Prince has some pretty powerful fans upstairs.
I Would Die 4 U is now available at bookstores and online.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.