Tapes 'n Tapes want to help you save your nickels 'n dimes
This just in: local indie rock stars Tapes 'n Tapes understand that money is tight these days. The economy is suffering. SUVs are being traded in for slightly smaller SUVs. People are only going out for drinks, like, every other day. And not every can afford to fork over the cash to go to rock and roll shows. But the boys in Tapes are here to help.
Go to the LIBRARY.
Eat at home - This can save you some serious cash! Start by making this Panang Curry recipe of Josh's.
2 Tbls Panang Curry paste (1 1/2 to 3 Tbls is normal range depending on heat)
6-10 Kaffir Lime leaves finely cut up with kitchen scissors (no wider than 1/16")
1 can Coconut Milk
1 1/2 # Chicken Breast or Pork sliced thinly into strips no longer than 3", or veggies or tofu
1 # of whole Green Beans, stemmed
1/2 C Thai Basil roughly chopped
2 Tbls Fish Sauce
2 Tbls sugar
1 Tbls Tamarind Paste (also called Concentrate)
3 cloves garlic minced
1. In a separate bowl, cover beans with boiling water, cover and let stand 4-5 minutes. Drain.
2. In 2 - 3 Tbls hot oil in wok, brown meat over high heat. Add minced garlic after the first stir. Continue cooking until done (3-5 mins). Remove to serving container.
3. Add 3 Tbls coconut milk to wok and heat over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add curry paste and lime leaves. Stir fry for 30- 60 seconds until fragrant.
4. Stir in remaining coconut milk and heat to boiling. Maintain gentle boil for 5 - 10 minutes until reduced in volume by about 25% or until it starts to slightly thicken.
5. Add meat back to pan. Add basil, fish sauce, tamarind paste, and sugar. Let simmer for about 10 minutes (no longer than 20 minutes)
Serve with rice
Bottle your own water and make your own coffee- This one is kind of a pain, but is pretty obviously beneficial.
Have a garage sale- Personally, I am definitely doing this. Offload your junk on unsuspecting folks.
Go veggie- If you can do three meatless days a week (without substituting fish), you could save $25 a week, which equals $100 a month, which equals $1,200 a year!
HAPPY HOUR- Everybody loves some cheap drinks and eats.
Take the city BUS or ride your BIKE.
UNPLUG your appliances- They steal your money even when you're not looking at or running them. They're evil like that.
FREE MUSEUMS - Also, going to free art gallery openings is always a good idea.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.