No advanced press release means we're learning the 2016 Rock the Garden lineup in real-time, just like our cherished, beloved readers. We'll update this post as the eight band names trickle in via 89.3 the Current's morning show throughout the drawn-out hour.
So far we've got ...
- Plague Vendor (wild California punk band whose sophomore LP, BLOODSWEAT, came out last year on Epitaph Records)
- GRRRL PRTY (hometown party-rap crew featuring exploding star Lizzo, plus Sophia Eris and Manchita; they told us about their empowering "ballsiness" last fall)
- TBA (as in, a future date, not today)
- Hippo Campus (super-polished, intimidatingly young local pop-rockers enjoying national exposure; we interviewed their goddamn cat)
- M. Ward (veteran indie-folk star whose collabos include She & Him with Zooey Deschanel and Monsters of Folk with Jim James, Conor Oberst, and Mike Mogis; he's pretty whatever)
- Poliça (Twin Cities synth-pop stars who just dropped their third album, United Crushers; we talked with them last month about toning down Auto-Tune and ramping up politics)
- Chance the Rapper (adventurous, Kanye-collaborating, 22-year-old Chicago rapper whose 2013 mixtape, Acid Rap, scored universal critical praise; he's easily the most exciting RTG booking of 2016)
- The Flaming Lips (psych-rock favorites will bring their confetti-drenched carnival of a stage show to RTG; the Oklahoma weirdos almost never leave the festival circuit)
Tickets — $59-$150 — go on sale 10 a.m. Tuesday to members of the Walker and the Current via Etix.com. The general public can get in on the action beginning 10 a.m. Wednesday.
Here are set times, in case you plan your Saturdays two months out:
Plague Vendor – 2:30 p.m.
GRRRL PRTY – 3 p.m.
TBA – 3:45 p.m.
Hippo Campus – 4:30 p.m.
M. Ward – 5:30 p.m.
Poliça – 6:30 p.m.
Chance the Rapper – 7:30 p.m.
The Flaming Lips – 8:45 p.m.