Premiere: Caroline Smith debuts "So it Goes" on Iowa City Song Project
Photo By Sandra L. Dyas
The venerable Englert Theatre in Iowa City is celebrating its Centennial this October, and to mark the historic occasion, the venue has commissioned a new music collection, Iowa City Song Project, featuring songs from 31 bands and musicians who have been inspired or influenced by their time in Iowa City.
Minneapolis singer/songwriter Caroline Smith is the only artist not from Iowa to be asked to contribute an original tune for the Iowa City Song Project, and Gimme Noise has the premiere of her brand new song, "So It Goes," a stark, plaintive number which she recorded with the Good Night Sleeps' guitarist Jesse Schuster.
The rest of the compilation is a diverse collection of musicians from all corners of the Iowa music scene, with folk-rockers Greg Brown and Bo Ramsey alongside the foot-stomping blues of William Elliott Whitmore and the pure, fragile vocals of Pieta Brown, as well as the raw rock 'n' roll of the Poison Control Center and Emperors Club, in addition to many other fine artists who have drawn inspiration from Iowa City along the way.
The people behind the project have put together a video which further explains the motivation behind the compilation, as well as their love of the tight-knit music community of Iowa City, which is thriving thanks in no small part to the good people at the 100-year-old Englert Theatre.
The Iowa City Song Project is due out on November 6 via Maximum Ames Records. Here's the tracklisting for the album, including an 11-song bonus track collection that is available with the digital download of the album.
1. "The Rules of Summer" - Alex Body BONUS TRACKS -- DIGITAL DOWNLOAD ONLY
2. "Strange City" - Brooks Strause
3. "Summer Sun" - Greg Brown
4. "Help Thy Brother's Boat Across" - David Zollo & The Body Electric
5. "Doesn't Take Long" - Pieta Brown
6. "Run Johnny Run" - William Elliott Whitmore
7. "A Short Walk" - Rene Hell
8. "Up The Street From You" - Sam Knutson / Milk & Eggs
9. "So It Goes" - Caroline Smith & Jesse Schuster
10. "No Place Like Home" - Bo Ramsey
11. "Death Buggy" (House of Large Sizes cover) - Samuel Locke Ward
12. "Old Capital City" - The Poison Control Center
13. "Strings" - Emperors Club
14. "The North Dodge Alley" - Wet Hair
15. "Drought" - Cuticle
16. "We're So Lonely" - Christopher The Conquered
17. "Gasoline" - The Feralings
18. "Unsteady Youth" - Alexis Stevens
19. "Ashtray" - The Lonelyhearts
20. "A Town of Tin Crowns" - Lwa
1. "The Rules of Summer" - Alex Body
BONUS TRACKS -- DIGITAL DOWNLOAD ONLY
1. "Two Leather Boots" - Awful Purdies
2. "Hourglass" - Chasing Shade
3. "Water Changes Plans" - Tallgrass
4. "Mississippi River Town Blues" - We Shave
5. "Speak to Us of Love" - Skye Carrasco
6. "Handle With Care" - John Svec
7. "Wish I Could" - Flannel
8. "Iowa City, Make Love To Me" - Pete Balestrieri
9. "Max Yocum's Blues" - Liberty Leg
10. "The Sky Is Our Mountains" - Mumford's
11. "Corn Thrust" - The Tanks
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.