Paul Westerberg collaboration appears on Kevin Bowe's new record
As Twin Cities music fans wait patiently for any sign of stirring from
Paul Westerberg, there is a small bit of creative activity from the
former 'Mats frontman on the forthcoming new record from renowned
Minneapolis songwriter/producer/guitarist Kevin Bowe and his band the
Okemah Prophets. Bowe and Westerberg co-wrote the track "Everybody Lies"
together, which is featured on Bowe's new album, Natchez Trace, his first full-length of new material in over 10 years.
Wilco's Nels Cline also plays guitar on "Everybody Lies," one of many notable guest appearances threaded throughout Bowe's new album. The Meat Puppets, Tim O'Reagan from the Jayhawks, Chuck Prophet, Freedy Johnston, Johnny and Molly of Communist Daughter, Ben Lubeck from Farewell Milwaukee, and longtime Bob Dylan violinist Scarlet Rivera all add their distinct flair to the recordings, in addition to the Okemah Prophets themselves, Peter Anderson (the Honeydogs/Polara) and Steve Price.
These 14 new songs (as well as a cover of John Lennon's "I Found Out") represent Bowe finally taking the time to write only for himself after a dozen years spent making music solely for others, and the album has been five years in the making but is finally seeing the light of day this summer.
Natchez Trace is certainly a star-studded record that is sure to get the local music scene buzzing, and Bowe is going to capitalize on that attention with a CD release show at the Varsity Theater on June 8. Alison Scott, who is prominently featured on Bowe's new record, will also be celebrating the release of her new record that night, which is sure to be a warm-spirited, collaborative affair filled with plenty of talented local musicians there in support. Proceeds from the concert will also benefit the Twin Cities nonprofit Rock The Cause.
Natchez Trace Track Listing:
1. Haven't You Heard (Alison Scott harmony vocal)
2. Fallen Satellites (Alison Scott harmony vocal)
3. Long Goodbye (Communist Daughter harmony vocals)
4. In Too Deep (Scarlet Rivera violin solo)
5. Everybody Lies (written with Paul Westerberg, guitar solo by Nels Cline from Wilco )
6. Just Restless
7. Waitin' For The Wheel To Turn (guitar solo by Chuck Prophet)
8. LA Dogs (Freedy Johnston harmony vocal)
9. Devil's Garden (Freedy Johnston harmony vocal, Meat Puppets on guitar and banjo)
10. Gutters Of Paradise (Freedy Johnston harmony vocal)
11. My Favorite Pain
12. I Found Out (John Lennon cover)
13. Every Little Bit Hurts
14. Nature's Way (Tim O'Reagan harmony vocal, "Spirit" cover)
15. Power Trip
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.