Owl City, Lorie Line featured on Holiday Lights Vol. 4 benefit album
Photo by Erik Hess
With the holiday season upon us, if you need a worthwhile distraction from the rampant consumerism and commercialism associated with Christmas, it's best to look for a way to help others in need. And for the fourth year in a row, Minnesota music and charity come together for a good cause on Holiday Lights Vol. 4, a benefit album that serves as the soundtrack for IBEW Holiday Lights in the Park, the annual light display and fundraiser at Lake Phalen in St. Paul.
Local artists like Owl City, Lorie Line, the New Standards, Chris Koza, Alison Scott and many more all recorded holiday favorites that have been compiled on Holiday Lights Vol. 4, sales of which will benefit Second Harvest Heartland, Union Gospel Mission, St. Paul Parks Conservancy, and UnderConstruction. The CD's are available nightly at the lighting event, and at all metro area Kowalski's Markets beginning today, as well as through CD Baby and all major online digital retailers.
In addition to the CD, this year there will once again be a special one-night-only concert event, "Holiday Lights LIVE!" at the Pantages Theatre on Sunday, December 9. The evening will feature performances from Keri Noble, Robert Robinson, Alison Scott, Dez, True North, Chris Koza, John Trones, Mandy Maietta, and Phil Thompson.
Tickets for the show are available now, and all proceeds from the concert will also benefit the benevolent mission of IBEW Holiday Lights in the Park.
IBEW Holiday Lights in the Park was created to provide fun and affordable holiday event options for families in the metro area, while also raising money to help give much needed assistance to children and adults in the Twin Cities during the holiday season and into the new year. The lights turn Phalen Park into an enchanting winter wonderland filled with holiday-themed LED light sculptures, and runs each evening from November 20 through January 1.
Last year alone, the combination of CD sales, light display tours, and the holiday concert helped raise more than $60,000 in donations, and this year should hopefully be even better due to the terrific array of talent featured on the compilation.
"This year's CD is the best we have produced to date," said IBEW Holiday Lights Music Director Phil Thompson. "The CD features a great cross-section of some of the best musicians our state has to offer. We are very fortunate to have such great artists who also love to give back to their community. We take great pride in knowing we are supporting some very worthwhile causes. As the years pass, this project continues to grow and prosper."
Here is the full track listing and artists involved in Holiday Lights Vol. 4:
1. Last Christmas -- The Blenders
2. Peppermint Winter -- Owl City
3. Everything I Want for Christmas -- Keri Noble
4. Christmas Time Next Year -- The New Standards
5. I'll Save Christmas (Till You Come Home) -- Alison Scott
6. Christmas Time Is Here -- Chris Koza
7. Angels We Have Heard on High -- John Trones w/ Joanna Jahn
8. Deck the Hall / Joy to the World -- Lorie Line
9. I'll Be Home for Christmas -- Dez
10. Celebrate Me Home -- Phil Thompson
11. The Christmas Song -- Lacey Canfield
12. It Really Is (A Wonderful Life) -- Lynhurst
13. Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24) --True North
14. Auld Lang Syne --Mandy Maietta
15. O Holy Night --Robert Robinson
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- Phish and Keith Urban are coming: Big news for two very different fanbases
- Flashlight Vinyl: New record store brings vinyl paradise to northeast Minneapolis
- How Minneapolis' awful Super Bowl XXVI halftime show changed the game
- Minneapolis indie-rock faves Fog reunite, announce first album in nine years