Buddy Holly tribute album brings together Fiona Apple, Black Keys, Paul McCartney, more
Well isn't this just precious. A slew of indie darlings have joined Lou Reed, Patti Smith and even a former Beatle to pay homage to influential early rock 'n' roller Buddy Holly on new tribute album Rave on Buddy Holly, which is streaming in its entirety today over at NPR. Holly was only 22 years old when he died in a plane crash that also took the lives of his tourmates Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper J.T. Richardson while they were en route to a show in Moorhead, Minnesota, but his immaculately composed catalog of pop songs still sound fresh and relevant today and make for the perfect launch-pad for a project with artists of this caliber.
Highlights include Fiona Apple and Jon Brion singing the charming "Everyday," McCartney freaking the fuck out on "It's So Easy," Julian Casablancas embracing the retro vibe for "Rave On" and Graham Nash closing it down with "Raining In My Heart."
And yes, Cee Lo is on it too, and yes, that thing that happened with him sure is bizarre.
Here's the full track listing:
1. Dearest (The Black Keys)
2. Everyday (Fiona Apple & Jon Brion)
3. It's So Easy (Paul McCartney)
4. Not Fade Away (Florence + The Machine)
5. (You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care (Cee Lo Green)
6. Crying, Waiting, Hoping (Karen Elson)
7. Rave On (Julian Casablancas)
8. I'm Gonna Love You Too (Jenny O.)
9. Maybe Baby (Justin Townes Earle)
10. Oh Boy (She & Him)
11. Changing All Those Changes (Nick Lowe)
12. Words Of Love (Patti Smith)
13. True Love Ways (My Morning Jacket)
14. That ll Be The Day (Modest Mouse)
15. Well All Right (Kid Rock)
16. Heartbeat (The Detroit Cobras)
17. Peggy Sue (Lou Reed)
18. Peggy Sue Got Married (John Doe)
19. Raining In My Heart (Graham Nash)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.