An overwhelmingly diverse and talented roster of Twin Cities musicians will assemble at the State Theatre next Sunday, June 12, for "Northside: A Twin Cities Community Benefit," and with the latest additions to the lineup it's shaping up to be a concert for the history books.
Today, organizers announced that they have added performances by Brother Ali, the New Standards, Prudence Johnson, and sisters Paris Bennett (who some will recognize as a one-time finalist on American Idol) and Jamecia Bennet, to the already existing lineup that included standouts like Soul Asylum and Sounds of Blackness.
[jump] With over 20 different acts on the bill, it's unclear whether each artist will perform separately or if the sets will spill over into one another, but we're guessing that there will be at least a few one-off collaborations throughout the night. The goal of the benefit is to raise $100,000 for Minneapolis residents who were affected by the May 22 tornado.
Tickets go on sale tomorrow, Friday, June 3, and range from $26.50 to $101.50. There will also be a limited number of VIP tickets are available for $251.50. The benefit also now has its own website, which you can track for updates.
Here is the latest confirmed lineup:
· Sounds of Blackness (Northside, various members)
· Soul Asylum
· Brother Ali
· Robert Robinson (Northside)
· Larry Long
· Joyful Noize
· Tonia Hughes (Northside)
· Billy McLaughlin Group
· Sara Renner (Northside)
· Jeanne, Patty, Jason and Paul Peterson
· Cameron Wright (Northside)
· Paris Bennett (American Idol finalist) and Jamecia Bennet (Northside)
· The New Standards
· Dean Magraw
· Prudence Johnson
· GB Leighton (solo)
· The TC Jammers
· Toki Wright (hip-hop and spoken word artist)
· Darnell Davis and the Remnant
· Ginger Commodore
· Thomasina Petrus
· T. Mychael Rambo
· Robyne Robinson (emcee), with assistance from Angela Davis (WCCO TV) and T. Mychael Rambo, Deejays from KMOJ, Cities 97, The Current, 96.3, Others TBD