After the hangover
So you survived New Year's Eve. Bravo. Or, perhaps you are still partying. Well, here's some stuff to do today.
- Dale Watson and Roe Family Band will be providing a night of excellent country music at Lee's Liquor Lounge (101 Glenwood Ave. N., Minneapolis; 612.338.9491). Bring $15 and show up at 9 p.m. You can check out Rick Mason's A List on the show here.
- City Pages alum Jim Walsh throws a hoot of a good time at the Mad Ripple Thursday Night Hootenanny, ushering in the Hootenanny's first night in the New Year at the Beat Coffeehouse, a roomy space on 28th Street, just off of Hennepin by Kinhdo. Performers slated to take the stage include Jason Shannon, Suzanne Vallie, Venus, and Brianna Lane. If you're really unable to make it, you can enjoy the show live from the web as well, click here to check out live and archived shows. Door open at 6 p.m., and the show is free (though it would be nice to bring some cash for the artists).
- Bar Abilene (1300 Lagoon Ave., Minneapolis, 612.825.2525) offers up a killer happy hour: Half off everything (Appetizers! Tequila! Beer! Guac!) from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and again from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. Dollar taps go into effect from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. too (Miller Light! Dos Equis! Michelob Golden Light!). Also, ask about the $2 shot of the day.
- Looking for some karaoke? Vegas Lounge (965 Central Ave. NE, Minneapolis; 612.378.1873) and U Otter Stop Inn (617 Central Ave. SE, Minneapolis; 612.331.4169) both offer karaoke tonight at 9 p.m.
- Strap on some skates and take to the ice. Kristy Yamaguchi-endorsed rink the Depot (225 Third Ave. S., Minneapolis; 612.375.1700) will be open from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Check out Mysteries of the Great Lakes on an IMAX screen at the Science Museum of Minnesota (120 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul; 651.221.9444).
- Or celebrate New Year's the old fashioned way from noon to 3 p.m. at The Pleasure of Your Call is Requested for $3-$9 dollars at the Alexander Ramsey House (265 S. Exchange St., St. Paul; 651.296.8760).
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.