Top 10 ACL Injury Videos
You're welcome, Vikings fans.
For what, you ask? After watching Sunday's shameful drubbing at the hands of Green Bay, the mood among my friends grew somber. We'd watched the Future, the Franchise, the Purple Jesus, leave with a knee injury. Was it serious, I wondered out loud. "It's the Vikings," one friend remarked disgustedly. "We're cursed. Its a torn ACL, and he's done for sure." We agreed that the only way to prevent this was to attempt the rare reverse jinx, where we plan for that eventuality and treat it as a foregone conclusion.
In this case, I agreed to prepare a post featuring 10 of the worst ACL injury videos I'd ever seen. It was the only logical course of action. It would prevent the worst. It was The Right Thing To Do.
I went about the task with only a loose criteria: was it gruesome to watch? Will it make you grab for your own knee? Not all would have to be gross: there are some injuries that, because of the situation, just seemed to fit. I boiled all these factors together into a stew of grisly images and dark humor, and came up with the content after the jump.
The outcome was as we'd hoped. Adrian Peterson's injury was a lateral collateral ligament problem that will keep him out for week, but will not require surgery.
So: thank me now. Because you may be cursing me after you watch some of these. Ready to bury your heart (or at least your stomach) at wounded knee?
10. A high school wrestler blows out his knee Ewwww Factor: 7 [X] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: Have the sound on? Be prepared for the sickening noise. It's visually not horrible, but the whole package is fairly grim. It's the popping that gets it on here.
9. The technical explanation from Dr. Allan Mishra Ewwww Factor: 5 ... or is it 8? [ ] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: This seems pretty boring at first. But it's a great technical description of what goes down, and seconds :24-:28 are surprisingly ... affecting.
8. Skateboarder tears ACL during competition Ewwww Factor: 7 [X] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: This video is great for so many reasons. The minute of skateboarding, like a historical film about a horrifying event, leaves you in suspense as you await the inevitable outcome. Mostly, though, it's on here for the title: "Nate's ACL says 'Peace'."
7. Mary Pierce goes down during a WTA event Ewwww Factor: 6 [ ] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: This tennis video isn't too tough to watch (that's the next tennis video on the list). If you watch it with the sound off, you won't even really understand. But if you listen, you will hear Pierce' screams in your head the rest of the day.
6. Milton Bradley falls victim to karma Ewwww Factor: 4 [ ] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: The malcontent outfielder has caused lots of problems during his storied career. He is one angry dude, as my favorite Milton Bradley quote -- "You can't touch the umpire. You can't spit on the umpire. I know that. But you just get to the point where you're just, 'There, I got that off my chest.'" -- demonstrates. Here, he goes after an umpire, has to be restrained ... and tears his ACL. Schadenfreude-riffic!
5. Guy removes own catheter post-ACL surgery Ewwww Factor: 9 [ ] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: Simultaneously gross and hilarious, it's random horrifying stuff like this that makes YouTube the experience it is. Doesn't feature the leg-disfigurements of the ensuing videos, but has a sickening power all its own. "Ooooh, that's a lot of blood."
4. Tony Allen, after the whistle Ewwww Factor: 7 [ ] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: Perhaps the ultimate "reset the video game" moment in ACL injury history. Sometimes, injuries are part of the game. An errant helmet, a misstep on fast break. And sometimes, after the whistle blows, you decide to streak to the hoop, dunk the ball, and ... whoops, there goes the season. Okay, when I say "sometimes," I mean, that happened one time. To Tony Allen of the Boston Celtics. "Ewwww Factor" spikes to 10 if you're a Celtics fan.
Okay, we knew it would get to this point. The top three injuries are more than cringe-worthy. If you're already shuddering, consider yourself warned.
3. Michael Stich's tennis injury Ewwww Factor: 9 [X] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: A leg is not supposed to bend like that. An ACL injury and so much more, this extremely short clip is the key winner in the "seconds to revulsion" category. It starts with a rolled ankle, and then, well ...
2. Willis McGahee's knee meets a helmet Ewwww Factor: 10 [X] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: Is on here because? After watching it again, I'm still shocked it's not No. 1. The then-Miami running back takes a freak, direct hit to his knee, which gets all twisted like a yoga position.
1. Shaun Livingston and the fast break from hell Ewwww Factor: 10 [X] Will make you grab your knee instinctively Is on here because: Possibly the most gruesome NBA injury of all time, this fast break gone bad is vile to watch. This Google search for "worst knee injury" + video shows just how much this has stayed in the popular consciousness.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss City Pages' biggest stories.