BEST OF THE TWIN CITIES®
ONCE UPON A TIME, two enchanted villages grew together beside a mighty river.
The towns were magical places, abounding in beautiful lakes and streams, where all the people were nice and all the children were above average.
These twin cities were ruled by a benevolent king who had a beautiful daughter. The villagers were the envy of the surrounding kingdoms for the quality of their lives and the richness of their culture. One day, the evil lord of the neighboring Kingdom of the Badgers became so jealous of the two enchanted villages that he invaded the peaceable kingdom and captured the king. He locked the king away in Foshay Tower and confined the beautiful princess to her castle on Summit Hill, overlooking the river.
"I am now the ruler of these twin cities," the evil lord declared. He proclaimed that he would destroy everything in the villages and would take the beautiful princess as his wife.
But the princess was a clever woman, and she hatched a plan to thwart the evil lord. While pretending to stroll through her garden one day, she summoned her favorite elves, who were invisible to her captors, and instructed them to go throughout the towns and tell the villagers to make a list of all the finest things about their cities, and to gather all their favorite goods and foods and entertainers.
The elves couldn't understand why she would ask such a thing, but they trusted their princess and happily did her bidding.
Find more Best of the Twin Cities® winners:
- Best Neighborhood Café (Minneapolis)Hazel's Northeast
- Best Steak HouseLindey's Prime Steak House
- Best Vegetarian-Friendly RestaurantSeward Café
- Best Greek RestaurantGardens of Salonica
- Best Ethiopian RestaurantFasika
- Best Soul Food RestaurantSoul Food Heaven
- Best BarbecueBig Daddy's
- Best Caribbean RestaurantMarla's Caribbean Cuisine
- Best Italian RestaurantBar La Grassa
- Best Middle-Eastern RestaurantSaffron Restaurant and Lounge
- Best Indian RestaurantGandhi Mahal
- Best French RestaurantMeritage
- Best ChefSteven Joel Brown of Tilia
- Best New RestaurantTilia
- Best Restaurant (St. Paul)Heartland Restaurant and Farm Direct Market
- Best Restaurant (Minneapolis)The Bachelor Farmer
- Best Sign of SpringReturn of the food trucks
- Best FestivalMNfashion's Minneapolis-St. Paul Fashion Week
- Best State Fair FoodSweet corn ice cream at Blue Moon Dine-in theater
- Best CharityThe Bridge for Youth
- Best Strip ClubThe Seville
- Best Place to Do Something for FreeArt Shanty Projects
- Best Place to Take Out-of-Town GuestsSt. Anthony Falls
- Best Tourist AttractionMinnesota State Fair
- Best Sid Hartman MomentJoe Mauer's first press conference after 2011 return
- Best HecklerMichael "Sammy" Samuelson
- Best GymYWCA of Minneapolis
- Best Unofficial Twins SouvenirAndy Sturdevant's "Minneapolis-Based Baseball Team" scorecards
- Best Minnesota Twins AdditionCorey Provus
- Best GolferTom Lehman
- Best College AthleteNick Bjugstad
- Best BoxerCaleb Truax
- 10 most meat-centric dishes in the Twin Cities right now
- Sandwich porn: Top 10 sandwiches of the year
- Graveyard smashes: 21 tributes to dead musicians
- 10 campaign song solutions for Donald Trump
- Pastas, doughs and dumplings: 10 best gluten-centric dishes
- Busts of the future: 17 failed music 'predictions'
- One Minnesota-ish act makes Spin's 50 Best Rock Bands Right Now list
- Kurt Vile songs as drugs
- 5 more must-hear Eyedea tributes
- Top 5 brunch dishes right now
- 5 ways to eat and drink October
- 10 things you didn't know about Le Town Talk Diner
- 5 things you need to know in local food this week
- TimeOut New York names Walker Art Center one of the best museums in the nation