@olavecchia sexybutt90 is my klk username add me if you are ready for fun
By Jesse Marx
By Chris Parker
By Jake Rossen
By Jesse Marx
By Michelle LeBow
By Alleen Brown
By Maggie LaMaack
By CP Staff
"It's not about being superstitious," Cooke says. "It's about having a routine at work."
"Oh, let's not kid yourself," Michelle says. "When you started having the soup and getting all those points it was superstitious."
"I'm not saying it isn't, but —"
She laughs, and finishes his sentence: "But now it just works for him."
Back in 2004, Cooke and his wife were looking for a way to honor their niece — Brandon Foley's daughter, Hope, who had been born without a heartbeat. So Cooke used his growing notoriety in Vancouver to open the wallets of the local celebrity class. With an initial 200,000 Canadian dollars, the Cooke Family Foundation of Hope got off the ground.
The families remain tight to this day. Both men moved to the Twin Cities for work and, unbeknownst to each other, found houses on the same block.
The public perception of Matt does not match his true persona, Brandon says.
"It's a complete dichotomy," he marvels. "There's an emotional hatred for him on the ice."
A 20-foot cross hangs between two mega screens in the center of the Christ Presbyterian Church sanctuary in Edina. This is God's arena, with room for 1,100. It's also the next stop on the Cooke family tour of local churches.
The pews are beginning to fill for the Saturday night service, a contemporary mix of homily, humor, and soft-rock hymns. It's a good fit for Cooke, who spends his Sundays in the service of Lord Stanley.
Today, he has traded his Wild sweater for a purple polo and a gray-and-black stripped hoodie. He takes a seat toward the back corner, looking slightly relieved that the usher didn't recognize him.
"For the first six months that happens," Cooke explains, "and then you can't really go anywhere."
Soon Cooke is back on his feet, bobbing his head and tapping two fingers against the pew. Between songs, he pulls a wad of money from his jeans and peels off a $20. His wife drops it in the collection plate.
On stage, John Crosby, the senior pastor, riffs on a passage from one of St. Paul's letters, about living with a renewed sense of purpose. Change comes to a man only after he decides to listen, not before.
"Improvement is not redemption," he adds, "even though redemption will always improve people's lives."
The rain picks up as the light through the chapel windows fades. Cooke smiles and removes his meaty paw from under his wife's delicate hand, rising nearly six feet into the air on unwavering limbs. He covers her shoulders in a gray sweater and turns to face the musicians.
Closing his eyes, he sings quietly: "Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see."
@olavecchia sexybutt90 is my klk username add me if you are ready for fun
@thepenspond No! Thanks for passing it along.
Oh sure, the online edition of this article says Ford Mustang but the print edition says its a Chevy Mustang.
Where is the puff piece about Shabazz Muhammad? That 19 year old kid has gotten nothing but negative posts yet here we get a puff piece about a violent goon like Matt Cooke. Shabazz Muhammad doesn't try to injury people yet all you white sports writers have to say is negative stuff about him. Care to explain this? The first story about Shabazz Muhammad was a negative story about his past, why wasn't the first story about Matt Cooke all about all the bad stuff he has done? I know you mention his past but you excuse it and paint him as sympathetic as possible. Why don't you do the same for Shabazz Muhammad? Don't you think your editor has some explaining to do why his all white sports staff seems to cover black athletes so differently than white ones?
@Eurydice_KRG There are a few more bandwagon Wild fans this year it seams
@MicheleBachmannWhy isnt there a puff piece? Maybe its because he plays for the NBA and no one gives a shit about the NBA! Plus he is 20 yrs old, sucks ass at playing defense (Which is why he should fit well in the NBA cuz no one plays defense anyway) and he has a reputation of being a goon. Matt Cooke does too and doesnt apologize for it.. And quit with all the "white sports writer" crap Race has nothing to do with this, but thanks for being a douche bag and trying to make it about race....typical. Did anyone mention his name is Shabazz!!!....poor kid.
@MicheleBachmann who the fuck is Shabazz Muhammad and what the fuck does he have to do with anything?
@thepenspond I hope he gets a little more acceptance.
@Ohplease Shabazz isn't a goon. His rep has been trashed by white sportswriters who are hellbent at painting young black kids as bad guys while making excuses for violent scum like Matt Cooke. This whole piece is a puff piece designed to make Matt Cooke look good. Oh his poor wife. Oh he's a Christian. He's a criminal. His hits are dirty and intend to injury. The Wild should be called out for having him on the team. He hurts the NHL. Injurying Erik Kaarlson last year hurt the league.
Finally you are such a fucking idiot. The NHL is falling behind soccer. Everyone knows who Lebron James is. No one knows who Sidney Crosby is except for Canadians and dumb fools like you who make excuses for scum like Matt Cooke. Once again you are nothing but a stupid fucking idiot who knows nothing about the NBA or the NHL. Goons like Matt Cooke are a dime a dozen. Instead of paying him so much the Wild could have signed a goon for the league minimum. The money spent on Cooke should have been used to upgrade at goalie. They sent Zucker down idiot, they didn't need a crappy goon forward like Cooke. Now they will have a weak goalie who isn't good enough to get the Wild past all the tough teams they face in their new division. They will miss the playoffs so enjoy that idiot. Hope watching Matt Cooke cheapshot someone is worth that.
@MicheleBachmann Wow. Trashing someone who you think is violent by using incendiary, violent rhetoric. Is that supposed to be ironic? I take several issues with your statements. I will respond to each:
- Hockey is a contact sport, where fist fights are not only allowed (with the penalty being a measly 5:00 minor that doesn't affect the team whatsoever), they are encouraged. Basketball is not a contact sport and it highly discourages players from engaging in fisticuffs. The nature of the NHL requires teams to acquire "goons" and intimidating players in order to compete. A team full of nimble fast skaters isn't going to get you very far in the NHL.
- Sure, Cooke has made some questionable in-game decisions, but he hasn't been banned from the league, nor should he be. Why should the Wild be "called out" for acquiring him? He is an eligible skater.
- This is Minnesota. The State of Hockey. Not the State of Basketball. We have the fucking Timberwolves to represent us in the NBA. Last I checked, they suck. A lot. Hence: nobody (at least in MN) gives a shit about the NBA. And apparently YOU know who Sidney Crosby is, so does that make you a dumb fool? Or a Canadian?
- As the article points out, Cooke is more than just a goon, he plays a multi-faceted game and is valuable in more ways than one (i.e. fluke or not, he tallied the first Wild goal of the season last night). Derek Boogaard (RIP) was a goon in the true sense. He was pretty much worthless on the ice aside from his ability to intimidate (and his ability to beat the shit out of people). And he was also one of the nicest, hardworking and well-loved hockey players off of the ice. Boogaard was often cheered and lauded for his brutal efforts, even earning himself the nickname "The Boogeyman." Remember, this is a job for these players. A job that Cooke does well. And a job that Shabazz has very little respect for at this point and appears to not take very seriously.
- The last point I will attempt to make sense of is your notion that there is some sort of conspiracy against black athletes by white sports writers. I assure you, there isn't. The difference between Shabazz and Cooke is that Shabazz has issues OFF the court, as well as on it. Cooke is an experienced professional, with a loving family, out there doing his job WELL. Shabazz is a rookie kid who shows disrespect for the system, disregard for authority and had to lie about his age so he could play at a lower level. In your mind, sports writers look at that and say, "YES! Another great opportunity to smear a young black kids career by painting him in a bad light." No, that's not how it works. Shabazz did that to himself. Furthermore, why would Minnesotan sports writers attempt to purposefully and dishonestly smear the image of a top prospect who represents their home team? Answer: they wouldn't, you paranoid fuckwad.
I hesitate to respond because you obviously have issues with anger, paranoia, racism, and narcissism. But I can't help myself. You are out of your mind if you are seriously implying that every white sports writer wants to paint black athletes as criminals. Is there some kind of conspiracy? If so, do they have meetings? According to your logic the white sports writers must think the strongly disliked Johnny Manziel is actually black and media darling RG3 white. Last time I checked many, if not most, of the most celebrated athletes in the US are black and almost none of them are ever called criminals. Exaggerating to make a point does not strengthen your argument. In stead, it does the opposite. It hurts your credibility. And taking a few isolated examples while ignoring the majority makes you look ignorant. Good luck with your emotional problems.